Pages

▼

Thursday, August 20, 2026

Iwaki Takehiko (also known as Jhaha/Jha Jha), Singer of Lip Cream (1963-2026)


By SoDak


In the late 1980s, I first heard the Japanese band Lip Cream thanks to a friend who gave me a cassette tape that included recordings of some of their songs along with others by Gauze, the Stalin, and G.I.S.M. (who I knew from the excellent 1984 International P.E.A.C.E. Benefit Compilation). All these Japanese hardcore bands were incredible, playing chaotic, high-speed punk rock. Lip Cream incorporated some very speedy rock-and-roll and blues riffs, in their early songs, and touches of metal and experimental music into later recordings. Jha Jha played bass in Dead Cops before becoming the vocalist for Lip Cream. His raw, blood-curdling style and frantic energy involved singing in Japanese and English, expressing anger about the alienating aspects of urban life in Japan. Many songs described the apocalyptic destruction of war. Jha Jha did the artwork for the Big Foot cassette, sometimes called Kill the IBM because these words were part of the design. From 1984 to 1990, Lip Cream made their mark, creating some distinct anarcho-Japanese hardcore punk, recording a series of blistering records, which Relapse Records re-issued at the end of 2025, beginning of 2026. Finally, I have copies to hear Jha Jha in full glory, spitting out the words, especially on the last studio record, sometimes called —SIN—.





2 comments:

  1. I've never heard of Lip Cream before. They ain't messing around. Great grooves and hooks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also had never heard of this group before. Love it. Thanks for writing this and sharing.

    ReplyDelete