Pages

▼

Sunday, September 6, 2026

L7, Wargasm: The Slash Years 1992-1997 (Cherry Red, 2021)


By Null


I was prompted by the recent death of Jennifer Finch to revisit my L7 records. It had been quite a while since I had listened to them, but I always had a soft spot for their most famous album Bricks Are Heavy. I searched through my CDs and found that I had a copy of their first album and the aforementioned Bricks Are Heavy. While listening, I was reminded how much I liked this band. I was thirsty for more and stumbled upon Wargasm: The Slash Years 1992-1997. It was a little package containing the albums Bricks Are Heavy, Hungry for Stink, and The Beauty Process: Triple Platinum. Every album included a few bonus and B-sides.

It was worth every penny. Each of these albums is a reminder of the infectious heavy-ass hooks that seem to fall out of the sky for L7. Each record is produced a bit different, but the same melodic riffs cascade one after the other. The slow burns feel as good as the up-tempo numbers. L7 records make it feel good to be pissed off. Whether the lyrics are of a more subjective nature or a political call to arms, every song is delivered with a snarl and an upturned lip. Speaking of snarling, L7 makes Billy Idol look like George Michael, but I digress. At the same time, L7 puts me in a cheerful mood. In a word, they’re dark and fun like a goth in the sun.

The art work and booklet are great as well, as the package contains original covers of singles, and other music nerdy things.

If you’ve been wanting to check out some L7, Wargasm will not let you down.

In closing, L7 are still around. They’re still doing shows and I’m left with the feeling that their other albums must be pretty solid as well. I’ll leave you with a slow burning favorite of mine from a TV show in 2008. Jennifer sings this one. L7 can be a respite when the world throws you one more stupid fucking thing.



No comments:

Post a Comment