About Us


There is a good chance you found us accidentally by using the word “taint” in your search (If you found us on purpose, you deserve our accolades). Of course we don’t know what you were looking for, but you stumbled on a damn cool project. Look around; let us help send you on a musical journey. Here you will find a number of album reviews from the strange and extreme to the tame and mainstream. Our reviewers are a bunch of obsessive miscreants. Most of us are avid music collectors and have been involved in the music world for decades. A couple of us have been in or are still in bands.

There are no rules on Tickle Your Taint Blog. Our reviewers might make you laugh, or piss you off; both results are legitimate. One reviewer might write a glowing review of an album another might tear it apart. We may end up adopting a single review system, such as five stars, or each reviewer may use his own or none at all. We may have a new review every week or we could end up with one every six months. This blog exists as a social experiment to build community among a diverse group of music maniacs – our reviewers and hopefully you. Pull down your knickers, lube up and join us in tickling yours and our taints.


Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Kingdom of Dali – Kingdom of Dali (Kingdom of Dali, 2012)


By Jimmy “Explosive Diarrhea” B.

Remember those carefree days of college, days when you could drink all night and work all day?  Many of those memories for me occurred in the basement of a small Midwestern college-town bar where I, along with my roommate and assorted motley friends, would smuggle in a marijuana laden pipe, order up Old Milwaukee beer, and settle down to listen to some good local blues and blues rock bands. I have very fond memories of these bands and the venue—both seemed awesome at the time, but truthfully I may have been too stoned and/or intoxicated to know the difference. But I am sober now, and I am digging the Kingdom of Dali (KOD). They take me back twenty years to hangovers and all night studying sessions.

After college, unless you were lucky enough to be born a Kennedy or a Bush, we graduated to reality—huge debts, unemployment, or if lucky, a life of work, taxes, the real possibility of never being able to retire, and other assorted shit. At some point I realized two things. First, most people are only allowed moments of joy, 80 percent of life sucks. Second, if you’re not angry, you’re not paying attention. Kingdom of Dali is paying attention. Their song “Bitter” is a good summary of adult life. Here are the lyrics in their entirety:

Living that life that life my friend\ With a pretty little wife behind that picket fence\ A house, a car, kids in the yard\ It’s all about them things that they peddle so hard\ Living that life that life my friend\ With a pretty little wife behind that picket fence\ Living the job that life my friend\ All them crappy little things you do to pay the rent\ Fat cat smiles as you buy it again\ While you’re doing crazy thing to help you forget\ Hand you a dream, A walk across the sky\ Just a sign over head when you die\ Living the dream that dream my friend\ Like a hamster in a cage you run till you’re spent\ Hump your ass over again\ Just a life well wasted, yea that’s what I said\ Living the dream that dream my friend\ The shiny expensive one you’ll never get\ But I’m not bitter.

The last line, “But, I’m not bitter,” is the important part. There are two ways of looking at this sentiment. There is the “if life hands you lemons, make lemonade” sentiment. This is not necessarily one I agree with, but I see the rationale of it. Perhaps the lack of bitterness comes from an altered version of the cliché that I like better: “When life hands you lemons, don’t make lemonade, throw those little yellow fuckers.” You might get lucky and hit something or someone who is contributing to your misery. Remember my friends, we make our own history. That might mean trying to create a better future, or it may mean doing something creative to help the rest of us swim the sea of poo known as adulthood, like recording an album of adult angst rock.

What is adult angst rock? I’m not entirely certain, but I do know that teenagers aren’t the only ones who feel angry and powerless. Many of the songs on the album have lyrics about failure, and disappointment. There are songs about broken relationships, fucked up families, and crappy employment. When I think of angst rock, I think of metal, punk, or blues.

Stylistically, KOD is a little hard to nail down. Upon my first listen I was set to label them as blues rock, primarily because Greg Malarkey’s rough, whiskey-drenched vocal style reminds me of John Wesley Myers of the Black Diamond Heavies. But this is too simple; there are subtleties in the songs. The cadence and feel is often bluesy, but Jon Boyd, the guitar player doesn’t always follow the groove set up by the rhythm section. On the song “Richard’s Vacation,” which is a sort of boogie-woogie track, Boyd follows the script by playing guitar licks that could have been lifted from Brian Setzer. There are no surprises; it is just a simple frolicking rock-and-roll song. But, then the next track, “Empty Minds,” starts out sounding like a blues song complete with a very bluesy sounding harmonica. But Boyd starts fucking with us by playing jazzy licks. It is this contradiction that makes “Empty Minds” one of my favorite tracks on the album.

KOD has thrown together a potpourri of original tunes, some golden, some not. In addition to “Empty Minds” I also really like “Smiles,” and “Family.” I normally hate songs about sex or courtship, but “Smiles” is an interesting tune. Everything about it is understated including the lyrics. The song is clearly about sexual adventure, but this is only hinted at. This song is a showcase for Boyd’s guitar work. The guitar sets the mood; it is flashy but does not settle into over-the-top shredding. It feels like the vocals and lyrics are only there to provide Boyd a platform for his rock, jazz, and blues riffs. Everything about the song “Family” is over-the-top and in your face. There is very little musicianship on display, except for some exceptional kazoo playing. It is the humor of this tune that caught my attention. Here are the lyrics for your reading pleasure:

My sister finds boyfriends on the Internet\ My nephew is in jail\ My Niece lives with a douche bag\ My Daddy is going to hell\ My family’s all fucked up\ My family’s all fucked up\ This much is true\ My family’s all fucked up\ But I am too\ Another sister lives in the hills over Phoenix\ She dinks around all day\ Her husband survives on pain meds\ Just to make her go away\ My family’s all fucked up;\ This much is true\ My family’s all fucked up;\ And so are you \And that’s why I love you

By now you have probably noticed that I like Kingdom of Dali. I like their honesty, their humor, and the way they genre bust. But, as I mentioned before, there are weaknesses. I really dislike the song, “Stepping Out.” This one feels like filler material to me. Musically, and lyrically, there is very little to like about this song. It is oversimplified, and well, silly. Also the production of the album, while better than most eighties metal, misses the mark. It isn’t so bad that you can’t make out the lyrics, or the notes, but it is dull, and some subtleties may have been lost.

I started this review with a walk down memory lane. How can a band that writes lyrics about the disappointments of life make me think of college, a time of hope and carelessness? The answer is pretty simple. There was a really good band that played bars in the little piece of the Inner Mountain West I once called home. They could play anything from Buddy Guy to Joe Walsh and The Eagles covers. They were fantastic, and they loved playing music. Greg Malarkey’s vocals are very similar to those of the bar band from my reckless youth.

I tickled my taint for 7.25 minutes.

For more information about the band or samples, go to their website here: http://www.kingdomofdali.com/

You can buy the album from CD baby: http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/kingdomofdali1




No comments:

Post a Comment