About Us


There is a good chance you found us accidentally by using the word “taint” in your search (If you found us on purpose, you deserve our accolades). Of course we don’t know what you were looking for, but you stumbled on a damn cool project. Look around; let us help send you on a musical journey. Here you will find a number of album reviews from the strange and extreme to the tame and mainstream. Our reviewers are a bunch of obsessive miscreants. Most of us are avid music collectors and have been involved in the music world for decades. A couple of us have been in or are still in bands.

There are no rules on Tickle Your Taint Blog. Our reviewers might make you laugh, or piss you off; both results are legitimate. One reviewer might write a glowing review of an album another might tear it apart. We may end up adopting a single review system, such as five stars, or each reviewer may use his own or none at all. We may have a new review every week or we could end up with one every six months. This blog exists as a social experiment to build community among a diverse group of music maniacs – our reviewers and hopefully you. Pull down your knickers, lube up and join us in tickling yours and our taints.


Monday, March 16, 2015

Gaslight Anthem, The ‘59 Sound


(OneSideDummy, 2008)

Review by SoDak

Thoughts of death are often on my mind. They have been since I was a very young child. As a result, I am obsessed with time and try to make the most of each day. Of course, I often fail, given the grind of daily life, mounting responsibilities, and ever proliferating distractions. I readily realize the ways that I fall short as a husband, friend, and human being. It is all too apparent how quickly life passes. I love this constant tension, as it is part of what motivates me to share so much time with loved ones. It is central to getting on with life, creating history and new memories. It is part of what has influenced decisions regarding work and where I live.

Music has been a constant presence, woven with the aforementioned thoughts and relationships. I spend countless hours listening to music. Perhaps this is a waste of time; however, music primarily enriches my life. It stimulates memories and stirs up emotions. I marvel at musical abilities, appreciate the words, and love stories. Music keeps questions regarding time at the forefront of my concerns. Every now and then, a record does all of these things at the same time. For me, Gaslight Anthem’s The ’59 Sound does just this. And quite frankly, I need to hear this record on a regular basis. It is filled with accounts of people who are struggling, who are striving to accomplish their dreams, who make poor decisions, and who are heartbroken. There are plenty of references to Bruce Springsteen throughout the record, as folks strive to forge meaningful lives despite the odds that are against them. Gaslight Anthem are a pure rock’n’roll band. They have a punk rock swagger and drive that amps up the ‘70s rock and ‘80s college radio influences.

This record, given the music and lyrics, makes me feel like I am teenager again. I imagine dancing under the moon, as the music envelops me, spinning me around and around, as I howl in delight. I throw my arms around a girlfriend, squeezing her tight until the song ends. I remember countless nights hanging out at concerts and in parking lots, exchanging tales with friends. We wanted nights to never end. Romanticism and realism are mixed on this record. Hope and disappointment coexist, making each day significant. Smiles and tears are part of creating meaning. This point is exemplified on the song, “The ’59 Sound,” which reflects on the awareness that death is ever present and the loss of a dear friend who died too young. This song seems to yell that we better make life count.

The ’59 Sound overwhelms me emotionally. When listening to it alone, I often weep. I am not even sure where all the heaviness comes from, but I appreciate that the songs fill me with such intense feelings. When my wife and I listen to the record, I love watching her rock out to the songs, as she dances around the house, playing air drums and singing the lyrics. I treasure all of these moments and want them to last longer, so I let the record play another time.



1 comment:

  1. I worry about people who don't find songs that make them weep, laugh, or feel euphoric. It's wonderful that you have found so many songs that move you.

    ReplyDelete