About Us


There is a good chance you found us accidentally by using the word “taint” in your search (If you found us on purpose, you deserve our accolades). Of course we don’t know what you were looking for, but you stumbled on a damn cool project. Look around; let us help send you on a musical journey. Here you will find a number of album reviews from the strange and extreme to the tame and mainstream. Our reviewers are a bunch of obsessive miscreants. Most of us are avid music collectors and have been involved in the music world for decades. A couple of us have been in or are still in bands.

There are no rules on Tickle Your Taint Blog. Our reviewers might make you laugh, or piss you off; both results are legitimate. One reviewer might write a glowing review of an album another might tear it apart. We may end up adopting a single review system, such as five stars, or each reviewer may use his own or none at all. We may have a new review every week or we could end up with one every six months. This blog exists as a social experiment to build community among a diverse group of music maniacs – our reviewers and hopefully you. Pull down your knickers, lube up and join us in tickling yours and our taints.


Wednesday, December 27, 2017

Null’s Musical Obsessions of 2017

By Null

My musical obsessions list isn’t a list of the best, or worst, of this year. It is simply an expression of my Musical Obsessions of 2017, many of which are as subjective, irrational, and as mysterious to me, as they may be for you. We don’t choose who we love.

Bands/Albums
Hüsker Dü, Savage Young Du Box Set (Numero Group, 2017).
This is a 3-disc treasure trove for any Hüsker Dü fan. It is mostly filled with early, rare recordings from cassette tapes. It is raw, hardcore, and politically charged. It also contains a great essay and sturdy box. Very well made, but then, Numero is known for putting together great, high-quality box sets. Fucking awesome. Containing 69 songs, I will be enjoying this for quite some time. Savage Young Du is probably my favorite release from 2017.



Midnight Oil, Full Tank Box Set (Sony, 2017).
SoDak and I finally got the chance to see Midnight Oil on their reunion tour this year in Denver. It was kick-ass. I bought this box set at the show. It contains all 11 studio albums, 2 EPs, and a DVD, all remastered. They are housed in a little rusty oil barrel. I already had many of these albums, but it was nice to fill in the gaps. It was especially exciting to become reacquainted with some of the early punk-type stuff that I hadn’t heard since my high school days, when I listened to them on cassette tape. The earth needs this band.



John Prine, John Prine (Atlantic, 1971).
Though I have had this album for several years, it was only this year that I really realized how great it truly is. Filled with humor, lefty politics, and deep sorrow, it is the classic.



Arliss Nancy, Wild American Runners (Black Numbers, 2013).
Arliss Nancy is a band that lives in my town. I never even knew they existed until I saw them open for Samiam downtown this year. I talked to some of the band members and bought a few of their records after the show. Wild American Runners was on heavy rotation for about a month after the show. It’s kind of a warm, storytelling, Springsteen/Petty type of affair. The album seems to tell the stories of defeated souls burdened by the wet blanket of life itself, drenched in romance and whiskey. It grows on you. How can you go wrong with an album that opens with, “I got a friend / Wrote a million sad songs /About being hopelessly in love with his ex-wife.” Ha. Another line, “Won’t you take my body / Before the cancer does.”



Bad Religion, Dissent of Man (Epitaph, 2010).
As a massive Bad Religion fan, I listen to their entire catalogue several times a year. For some reason, this particular album stayed in my car for months this year. It is intelligent, heartfelt, tight, as usual. “Wrong Way Kids” really tugs at my heart and kinda makes me want to cry. We all continue to get older. It is amazing that this band has been making kick-ass smart punk rock for so long. We are still around. We ain’t going anywhere. Also, the video for “Wrong Way Kids” looks back on the long history of Bad Religion, which makes me reflect on my own lifelong relationship with punk rock and the various little punk rock scenes around the country. Like a secret community of like-minded friends, life is fleeting. This will all be over soon.



Jason Isbell, Southeastern (Southeastern, 2013).
“Experience robs me of hope that you’ll ever come home.” I was late to this train. As many people already know, his album is an absolute masterpiece. As the songs sink in after repeated listening, its valleys get deeper and deeper. The secret to life is learning how to survive endless heartbreak; here’s a manual. “And the church bells are ringing for those who are easy to please.”



Various Artists, Punk Archives–25 Punk Singles (Jungle, 2001).
This is one of the best compilations I have ever heard, containing twenty-five punk rock songs from the Jungle label in the United Kingdom, mostly dating from the late 1970’s and early 80’s. Some of this is pretty rare, and all of it is good. I bought the CD several years ago for 12 bucks or so. It is currently out of print and a used copy is $175.00. It is readily available digitally though. Hopefully it will be back in print soon. Some of the bands include: Broken Bones, Urban Dogs, The Wall, Neurotics, Rubella Ballet, Manufactured Romance, Menace, Rabid, Jayne County…and many more. If you see it, pick it up.



The Menzingers, After the Party (Epitaph, 2017).
I wrote a review of The Menzingers On the Impossible Past, back in 2014 (See http://tickleyourtaint.blogspot.com/search?q=menzingers ). I would say that After the Party is the real follow up to that album, even though the band released Rented World between them. After the Party has all the good stuff that is found in On the Impossible Past except maybe it is a little less depressing. Maybe. 



Sniff ’n’ the Tears, Fickle Heart (Ace, 1978), The Game’s Up (Ace, 1980), and Love/Action (Ace, 1981).
I just stumbled across this band and I fell in love. They had a hit in 1978 with “Driver’s Seat.” Their sound reminds me of warm 1970s storytelling while curled up in the front seat of a pickup truck waiting for my mother to get out of the store. It takes some repeated listening before you realize how truly great these albums are, especially the first two. I told SoDak about them and he jumped on that train after about 2 seconds. He bought all of their albums. “Tina told me Ben got lost on the trail to Katmandu / But who's around to count the cost of what other people do?”



The Carpenters, The Singles: 1969–1981 (A&M, 2000).
A lot of this stuff was on the radio when I was a kid. It all seems cheesy, but it is also beautiful and achingly dark and sad. Sometimes the Carpenters seem like the darkest band in the world. There will never be another group like them. This album really blew my mind. After I played this in the house, Kelly (my life companion) was singing these songs for the following month. Karen rocks on the drums.



Taylor Swift, Reputation (Big Machine, 2017).
There are a million reasons to dislike Taylor Swift. Are her corporate identity and Diet Coke endorsements any different than Madonna’s evil business-like acumen back in the day? Probably not; let’s not be too selective with our memories. I used to buy Madonna’s new releases in the 80’s and I view this as pretty much the same thing. Nothing more, nothing less. I need some good pop albums around the house. And this, is good pop music. Pop music is dangerous for a guy like me, because music is like crack. I’m also isolated out here on my musical island, as I never listen to pop radio. So my context for some big-name pop records like this one may be very different than most people’s perspective. I found this record to be fun and catchy as fuck all. It’s a little sad and sweet too. Maybe I will write a review and explain this one in the near future. I mean, I thought that Swift’s last album, 1989, was a pop classic in the vein of Michael Jackson’s Thriller. I think this is a good follow up. (Anita Papsmear and Five-Inch Taint hate me for my freedom.)



Rhianna, Anti (Roc Nation, 2015).
This is an odd one, because the record as a whole is not really good. It feels like a bunch of unfinished vignettes. I want to go into a studio and fix it. Maybe that is why I just kept listening to it over and over again. I’m a little OCD. Guess what happens when you listen to something a million times? It becomes a part of your internal musical landscape whether you like it or not.



Stevie Nicks, Belladonna (Remastered 3 disc version) (Rhino, 2016).
I always loved Stevie Nicks’s first two solo albums. I internalized them both years ago. Originally released in 1981, the sound and production is reminiscent of Petty’s Heartbreakers with Jimmy Iovine at the helm. The extra discs of alternate versions, b-sides, and live stuff sticks to the feel and aesthetic of the original album. There is probably too much here for a casual fan of the album though. Stevie’s voice was good back in the day.



Cannibal Corpse, Red Before Black (Metal Blade, 2017).
I’m not into the gore and all that shit, nor do I have time to be a fan of more than one death metal band, but every time these guys put out an album my brain starts to fire up areas that are only ignited by their music. They are absolute masters of their trade. And they are super sweet guys too.



Lagwagon, Blaze (Fat Wreck Chords, 2003).
When Lagwagon are serious, they can produce great things. I transported this CD back and forth in my backpack to work so many times this year that I actually really scratched it up and had to buy a new one. Like Resolve, Hang, and Hoss, Blaze is a great little punk record. Yeah, it’s all polished like most of the hegemonic bands on Fat Wreck Chords, but I think there is something special about them, at least on the aforementioned albums. I could play the song, “I Must Be Hateful” a thousand times in a row. Wait, I have done this. Here’s to one thousand and one times.



Live Shows:
Billy Bragg in Boulder, Colorado.
I’ve loved Billy Bragg for a long time. He is a lefty comrade, a political agitator, and a great commentator on society at large. He can insert the beauty and acute pain of life into a three-minute song many times over. He turned 60 years old, just a few days ago, and he has been a consistent voice for reason and revolution since he started back in the late 1970s. After the show, I got the chance to talk to him for a bit, and it quickly became very emotional for both of us. He is a good guy. It was a great night I will never forget.

The Menzingers in Denver, Colorado
It was on Saint Patrick’s Day. The band was on fire and the crowd was rowdy. It was an explosive sing along and it was raining beer. Good times.

Son Volt in Boulder, Colorado.
It was great to see the old work horse back on the road. Great show. Having seen Son Volt seemingly endless times, they never let me down.

Samiam with Arliss Nancy in Fort Collins, Colorado.
I finally got into Samiam after seeing them live in a little place in Fort Collins. This was also my introduction to Arliss Nancy, a great local band. Many friends came to town for this show. It was a really fun night.

Midnight Oil in Denver, Colorado.
SoDak drove for seven hours to make this show. It was a dream come true for both of us. It was also one of my favorite concerts that I have ever been too. Politically charged, weird Peter Garrett dancing, it was simply everything a Midnight Oil show should be, because after the show I was ready to burn the whole fucking system down in defense of planet earth. So fucking good! Even now I get excited just thinking about it. And, just to make it even more authentic, a genuine Aussie payed for our parking. “Don’t worry about it, mate.’

Peter Hook & the Light in Denver, Colorado.
I love Joy Division. I never in a million years thought I would see this. Peter Hook and his band playing all of Joy Division’s Substance album, as well as New Order’s Substance album. Peter Hook basically taught me how to play the bass. It was kind of surreal and emotional. I wish my friend Jake could have been there with me, but Kelly rocked out and left with a cool Peter Hook shirt. Did that really happen?

Jello Biafria’s Incredibly Strange Dance Party in Fort Collins, Colorado.
Jello shows up in a little place downtown and spins weird records. Jello as a DJ. It was really cool in a really strange way. I guess the event was aptly named. I had the chance to chat with Jello for a while; it was the second time I had the chance to do so. It is always interesting to talk to someone whose art completely changed your life. He is the same as he has ever been. I asked him if he might want to come visit my radio show to do a long in-depth interview. We will have to wait and see.

Iron Maiden in Salt Lake City, Utah.
It is always fun to get together with friends. It is even more fun to get together with friends and go to an Iron Maiden show. I think this is the third time I have seen them live. Their last album was great and they played many songs from it. My favorite moment was air-drumming along with Nicko during “The Great Unknown.” Ghost were a pretty good opener, but man it was fucking hot.

Other stuff:
Bruce Springsteen, Born to Run (audio book).
I like to read a lot. I have never really listened to books on tape because so much would be lost without the words in front of you and with someone else controlling the speed and the pauses. Pausing and reflecting is integral to reading. In the past, I have also gotten really bored with “rock books.” Typically, they are not like a Fyodor Dostoyevsky novel. However, I really wanted to hear Bruce Springsteen’s autobiography Born to Run. When I found out that the audio book had Bruce reading it himself, I thought, “Yeah, I could do that. He likes to talk and he is a good story teller.” I really enjoyed listening to him tell his stories, especially when he talked about his youth and upbringing, while driving back and forth to work.

Rodney Dangerfield (just in general).
I did buy the comedy album No Respect while in Salt Lake City. While it was good, it wasn’t as good as just watching old clips of Rodney’s television appearances on YouTube. When I was in elementary school, I used to have a whole Rodney Dangerfield routine. He isn’t PC, which is kind of refreshing; however, he makes you cringe from time to time. Nevertheless, his constant self-deprecation is close to my heart.



No comments:

Post a Comment