About Us


There is a good chance you found us accidentally by using the word “taint” in your search (If you found us on purpose, you deserve our accolades). Of course we don’t know what you were looking for, but you stumbled on a damn cool project. Look around; let us help send you on a musical journey. Here you will find a number of album reviews from the strange and extreme to the tame and mainstream. Our reviewers are a bunch of obsessive miscreants. Most of us are avid music collectors and have been involved in the music world for decades. A couple of us have been in or are still in bands.

There are no rules on Tickle Your Taint Blog. Our reviewers might make you laugh, or piss you off; both results are legitimate. One reviewer might write a glowing review of an album another might tear it apart. We may end up adopting a single review system, such as five stars, or each reviewer may use his own or none at all. We may have a new review every week or we could end up with one every six months. This blog exists as a social experiment to build community among a diverse group of music maniacs – our reviewers and hopefully you. Pull down your knickers, lube up and join us in tickling yours and our taints.


Sunday, February 11, 2018

Nova Mob, Nova Mob (Restless, 1994)

By Null

Lately, I have been revisiting a lot of older records. Part of the reason for this is because when it comes to rock music these days, the bottom line is Pro-Tools and the “loudness wars.” I cannot 
fucking take it anymore.

In regard to making a record, there are those who write songs and play instruments—I am referring to the band. However, there is always another member who plays a big part. This person is the producer, or engineer, who determines the production value of the recording. In essence, the “production” is an additional key component of the group. Every record contains this “invisible” aspect. These days, I have a real hard time distinguishing between rock bands. Sure, the singer’s voice can often que me in, but aren’t these different singers backed up by the same homogeneous band? I believe they are called “The Protool, No Dynamic, Loud As Fuckers Band.” They make almost every record indistinguishable. This was not always the case.

Fuck man, Glen Campbell played on half the songs that were ever recorded in the world, and you wouldn’t even know that if I didn’t tell you. Yeah, Motörhead sounds like a fucking sandstorm, but they sound that way regardless of how they were recorded. It was intentional. I can pick out the difference between instruments on an old Motörhead recording better than I can on any loud-as-fuck fest I have heard these days.

t is not that I am just a grumpy old man, which, of course, I am. It is the fact that digital music is cold and dead. Analog music is warm and alive. It’s science. For instance, take Rise Against, they have good lefty politics, they are good song-writers, and they seem to be good guys. Previously, I had never bought any of their albums because of the sound—the production. However, I picked up End Game a few weeks ago and thought maybe I could get into the album if I just familiarized myself with the sound after repeated listenings. I like the record, but I just couldn’t get past the production. It makes me sad.

While I was driving around rockin’ my new Rise Against album, I stopped at a bookstore in town that has a lot of used CDs, just to try my luck. I was fortunate as I found Nova Mob’s second album. Considering I am a huge Hüsker Dü fan, and that Grant Hart died recently, I was excited to pick it up. As soon as I got back into my car, I threw it into my CD player. Instantly, I noticed that the mix sounded weird. The vocals seemed buried. It was a bit tinny. The bass was muffled. There was also some tape hiss.

It was like a breath of fresh air.



It sounded fucking great. Almost like a real band, with real people, making human mistakes, which often result in making great records. I could actually distinguish the two guitars from each other. What’s that, a bass?

I was floating in paradise. I drifted through the band rehearsal space in somebody’s garage, ya know, the place where music is made. The carpet was stained from spilt beer and flipped ashtrays. There were busted drumsticks on the floor with broken guitar strings coiled around them like snakes from some underground punk rock world. There was sweat. And blood. There was also space. And air. The sky was clear, and I could sense something real.

In this paradise, there is sadness for the current state of record making. I wish Rise Against would visit this place, where their music and their words would be heard; where a guitar and bass complement each other, instead of sounding like one indistinguishable beastly instrument; where they could be heard and seen. It is a place where I could distinguish them from the Foo Fighters.

Nova Mob sustained this paradise for the next 53 minutes.

Nova Mob’s second album has horns, and acoustic numbers, and straight-ahead rockers. It grows on you over time, and the songs lend themselves to emotional interpretations of all colors and hues. At least, that is what it did to me. It felt like going home. Don’t fear the tape hiss. We don’t need to be saved from our imperfections.


No comments:

Post a Comment