About Us


There is a good chance you found us accidentally by using the word “taint” in your search (If you found us on purpose, you deserve our accolades). Of course, we don’t know what you were looking for, but you stumbled on a damn cool project. Look around; let us help send you on a musical journey. Here you will find a number of album reviews from the strange and extreme to the tame and mainstream. Our reviewers are a bunch of obsessive miscreants. Most of us are avid music collectors and have been involved in the music world for decades. A couple of us have been in or are still in bands.

There are no rules on Tickle Your Taint Blog. Our reviewers might make you laugh, or piss you off; both results are legitimate. One reviewer might write a glowing review of an album; another might tear it apart. We may have a new review every week, or we could end up with one every six months. This blog exists as a social experiment to build community among a diverse group of music maniacs – our reviewers and hopefully you.


Wednesday, October 16, 2024

For Kris Kristofferson

 

By Jack Rafferty


“I’ll only live ‘til I die.”


Kris Kristofferson recently passed away. To me, his voice and lyrics conveyed a level-headedness, self-assured demeanor, that was full of compassion, and always with the wink of mischief. I didn’t know him, so I don’t know if any of these qualities reflect who he was as a person, but I will always remember seeing when Sinead O’Connor was booed at Madison Square Garden in 1992, Kristofferson came on stage and embraced her and whispered, “Don’t let the bastards get you down.” That seemed to tell me a lot about him.

This has only been expanded on over the years as I learned of his vocal support for Palestine and his staunch antimilitarism. I’ll always love the clip of him with Willie Nelson, Waylon Jennings, and Johnny Cash, where on the topic of American chauvinism he states, “it reminds me a lot of the flag-waving and the choreographed patriotism that we had in Nazi Germany.... We got a one-party system…lapdog media that’s crankin’ out propaganda for the administration that’d make a Nazi blush.”

I resonated a lot with Kristofferson’s tongue in cheek sense of humor in his writing, and his brazenness. The lines below from “Good for Nothing Blues,” illustrate one of my favorite things about his worldview, which is how he expressed not wanting pity from others, 


I prefer your condemnation to your suckin’ sympathy

Baby good for nothing’s good enough for me.


“Sunday Mornin’ Comin’ Down” is in my top five country songs of all time, which is not a statement I make lightly. Kris was nearly unmatched when it came to his songwriting. 

He had a master’s degree in English, and he could quote William Blake from memory, which checks out, as I have often felt his lyrics were both gruff yet literary. They were conversational, yet full of simplicity and truth.


Duvalier was a bitter man who cursed the morning sun

That brought a new betrayal every day

He shunned the world of mortals and the sound of human tongues

And blessed the night that chased their sight away

A disillusioned dreamer who would never love again

Who’d tried of it and found that it was rotten

Preferring perfect strangers to the company of friends

Because strangers are so easily forgotten.

—“Duvalier’s Dream”


I could go on all day about the songs and lines I love, but another standout to me is “Best of All Possible Worlds.” It is a type of comedic anti-cop/prison song that reminds me a bit of the tone of Cool Hand Luke, in which each line is more irreverent and cleverer than the last. 


Well I woke up next morning

Feelin’ like my head was gone

And like my thick old tongue

Was lickin’ somethin’ sick and wrong

And I told that man I’d sell my soul

For somethin’ wet and cold as that old cell


That kindly jailer grinned at me

All eaten up with sympathy

Then poured himself another beer

And came and whispered in my ear

‘If booze was just a dime a bottle

Boy, you couldn’t even buy the smell’

I said I knew there was somethin’ I liked about this town.


Much like John Prine, who Kristofferson helped put on the map, Kris explores themes of darkness, alienation, abandonment, and seeking freedom in a world where that seems like an impossibility, and he often did so with a certain humor, kindness, and lightheartedness. Kris could also be more serious with a lot of his writing. One of my favorite examples of this is in “Casey’s Last Ride,” in his descriptions of the desolation of a person’s alienation and despair in an industrial capitalist world.


Casey joins the hollow sound of silent people walking down

The stairway to the subway in the shadows down below;

Following their footsteps through the neon-darkened corridors

Of silent desperation, never speakin’ to a soul.


The poison air he’s breathin’ has the dirty smell of dying

’cause it’s never seen the sunshine and it’s never felt the rain.

But Casey minds the arrows and ignores the fatal echoes

Of the clickin’ of the turnstiles and the rattle of his chains.


Overall, Kris seemed like a beautiful person full of contradictions, like us all. There have been few that equaled his songwriting capability in his lifetime, and I’ll always be glad to have his songs to listen to. Leonard Cohen wrote that Kristofferson told him he wanted the lines from Cohen’s “Bird on a Wire” on his tombstone, so it only feels fitting to include it here, 


Like a bird on a wire

Like a drunk in a midnight choir

I have tried, in my way, to be free.

No comments:

Post a Comment