About Us


There is a good chance you found us accidentally by using the word “taint” in your search (If you found us on purpose, you deserve our accolades). Of course we don’t know what you were looking for, but you stumbled on a damn cool project. Look around; let us help send you on a musical journey. Here you will find a number of album reviews from the strange and extreme to the tame and mainstream. Our reviewers are a bunch of obsessive miscreants. Most of us are avid music collectors and have been involved in the music world for decades. A couple of us have been in or are still in bands.

There are no rules on Tickle Your Taint Blog. Our reviewers might make you laugh, or piss you off; both results are legitimate. One reviewer might write a glowing review of an album another might tear it apart. We may end up adopting a single review system, such as five stars, or each reviewer may use his own or none at all. We may have a new review every week or we could end up with one every six months. This blog exists as a social experiment to build community among a diverse group of music maniacs – our reviewers and hopefully you. Pull down your knickers, lube up and join us in tickling yours and our taints.


Friday, June 27, 2014

Vanishing Kids- Spirit Visions (2013)


By SoDak


Many years ago, Jimmy (Explosive Diarrhea) B introduced me to the Vanishing Kids. He shared their record, Skies in Your Eyes, with me. I was immediately fascinated by this band, given the strong 80s new wave influence. They captured the dark, moody sound on the early albums by The Cure, as well as the twisted conceptions embodied by Siouxsie and the Banshees. They made songs that were both unsettling and comforting. Listening to the record made me feel like I was discovering a missing gem by bands I loved. Of course, it is necessary to note that Vanishing Kids are not a band dwelling in the past. There influences are evident, but the band makes music that is modern and refreshing.



Last fall, Jimmy mailed me Vanishing Kids most recent album, Spirit Visions. I was thrilled to listen to their fourth full-length record. The compact disc lived in my car most of the winter and spring. Each morning and evening, I listened to a few songs, during my commute to work and back home. I digested the record in small portions, a few songs each day. My engagement with the music varied depending on the weather, traffic, and work. In the morning, as the inversion in Salt Lake City, settled into the valley, choking the population below, the song “Fire Dances” set the mood. The guitar was haunting and the drums swirled in my head preparing me for the day. Nik Nadz vocals are reminiscent of Siouxsie Sioux, but in a more controlled way. From time to time, her vocals mesh with the climbing guitar notes, sending chills down my spine. Jason Hartman’s guitar playing is captivating. He creates a drifting, hypnotic sounds on many songs. On “The Unlit Path,” he produces a clash of intense, angular sounds that build and threaten to explode as the song progresses. At times, the guitar parts in this song remind me of the chaotic, fast, jazzy parts found on Victims Family records, even though the bands are very different from each other. After work, I always welcomed the song, “Temporary Material.” All of the gentle and intense aspects of the band are represented here. The ethereal guitar part leads to heavy, loud volatile moments. The drums propel the song forward. The quirky changes and vocals throughout the album demand attention. Often, I was not sure quite where a song was going to go, even after many times listening to the record.

Spirit Visions helped sustain me during several stressful months at work. In the morning and evening, I entered the strange world they create with their songs. While I love the obvious influences that are represented, I am especially pleased by how Vanishing Kids manage to create unique songs that captivate my imagination.

It is my understanding that Vanishing Kids are currently writing new music. Give them a listen and your support.




2 comments:

  1. Spirit Visions is my favorite Vanishing Kids album, and I love the song Mother Earth. Nikki might be one of the great unknown female vocalists.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the last two records by Vanishing Kids. They are great. Nice to see this review here.

    ReplyDelete