About Us


There is a good chance you found us accidentally by using the word “taint” in your search (If you found us on purpose, you deserve our accolades). Of course we don’t know what you were looking for, but you stumbled on a damn cool project. Look around; let us help send you on a musical journey. Here you will find a number of album reviews from the strange and extreme to the tame and mainstream. Our reviewers are a bunch of obsessive miscreants. Most of us are avid music collectors and have been involved in the music world for decades. A couple of us have been in or are still in bands.

There are no rules on Tickle Your Taint Blog. Our reviewers might make you laugh, or piss you off; both results are legitimate. One reviewer might write a glowing review of an album another might tear it apart. We may end up adopting a single review system, such as five stars, or each reviewer may use his own or none at all. We may have a new review every week or we could end up with one every six months. This blog exists as a social experiment to build community among a diverse group of music maniacs – our reviewers and hopefully you. Pull down your knickers, lube up and join us in tickling yours and our taints.


Thursday, January 19, 2017

Barry McGuire, “Eve of Destruction”

From time to time, the taint ticklers will share reflections regarding specific songs.

P. F. Sloan wrote the song “Eve of Destruction” in 1964. (The Bryds were offered the song and turned it down.) The following year, Barry McGuire recorded a demo version, on which Sloan played the guitar. This rough cut was given to a DJ who happened to play it on the radio. The song became a hit. While the song has been recorded by numerous artists over the years, it is McGuire’s version that is seen as the classic.


Class Warrior:
SoDak shared this song with me (with us, I should say—I am merely one of who knows how many people in his music-sharing circle) over a decade ago. It must have been 2003 or 2004—a fitting time to hear this song, in other words. Many of us were present at the largest protest the world has ever seen—a globe-spanning movement against the impending war in Iraq. I don’t need to tell anyone that this war ended up as a complete disaster for the people of Iraq, and a total corporate gift for “defense” companies in the United States.

Somehow, the stakes now seem even higher than they did in 2003. If you had told me back then that it was possible to have a worse regime than that of George W., I may have believed you, but would have been horribly disappointed. The fucking human Cheeto we have now is hellbent on dragging humanity into some capitalist-fascist dystopia. Well, at least he can’t take away our love for each other, or make beer stop tasting good. I still think we will win, and that people like Trump will spend their final days rotting in a jail cell.

We need more troubadours like McGuire to help us out in these desperate times. Will they respond? Will we?

If not, it’s a good thing I love the post-apocalyptic genre. There’s a fair chance I’ll get as much of it as I can stomach.


Dave:
Why do we always go back to the ‘60s/’70s in music when we want a song that has deeper meaning? Why aren’t we picking up on new musicians that write protest songs? It seems like a major component of the Trump election centered around people yearning for a past that didn’t really exist. So why listen to dated folk music? I thought it was embarrassing that Bob Dylan was awarded the Nobel Prize for Literature. This is the worse of the cult of the ‘70s. Fucking stop, it ended a long time ago. There are new artists with new ideas. If you care about music support them, let this other shit go. Fuck retro.


Gusty Bellows;
It’s alright. This is the summer of love, dude. It spoke to my soul; it touched my Aquarius—over and over again.


Hinkleyhadavision:
The first time I remember hearing “Eve of Destruction” I was around three years old. It was the early 1970s and I was riding in my dad’s 1968 Valiant through the Black Hills. For me the meaning of the song has changed over time. As a child, I enjoyed listening to this song simply for the melody. By the time I grew into a rebellious teenager, protesting the 1991 Gulf War, I came to see the song is an important political take on the turmoil of the 1960s. Today, all that ugly history is starting to look rather tame. Now the song only makes me shake my head in disgust, as it could have been written yesterday. When you “think of all the hate there is in Red China, then take a look around” to Mar-a-Largo, Florida. 


Jimmy “Explosive Diarrhea” B:
There are quite a lot of songs that make me feel nostalgic for a time I barely knew (if I ever really knew it at all), such as “Ohio,” “For What It’s Worth,” etc. In 1965, when this Barry McGuire song was released, my parents were newlyweds, and my father was about to begin his quest of trying to avoid the Vietnam War—he somehow always stayed one step ahead of the draft board, first by having a family, later by joining the national guard, and finally by aging out of the draft pool. One of my earlier memories is of him shushing me while we watched television together. The screen was filled with soldiers; it was an announcement of troops returning home after the Vietnam War had been officially declared over. I remember how happy he was.

Songs like “Eve of Destruction” make me remember a happy time in my life, which is odd considering how depressing it was. It was a time before Reaganomics destroyed families. It was a time before the personal computer, cell phones, and blockbuster movies. It was a time when people would not or could not avoid each other (through the use of technology) and there was a stronger sense of community. And, most important to my eight-year-old self, it was a time of climbing trees, exploring the woods and mines, racing little red wagons down dangerous mountain sides, building forts, and all the other stuff that kids do (or did before computers and video games).


Null:
I first heard this song on an old AM radio in my dad’s garage one summer when I was a teenager. At least, that is my first memory of it, though it is likely I had heard it before, but this is the first time it spoke to me, or maybe the first time I really “heard” it. I immediately thought it was great, as I was basking in the light of punk rock, Bob Dylan, and 60’s “protest rock.” His spitting vocal tone set the stage for the unapologetic condemnation that would be a hallmark of punk rock. It is more than an anti-Vietnam War anthem, as it highlights war profiteers and the subtle insular hypocrisies of our day to day lives: “You can bury your dead, but don’t leave a trace, Hate your next door neighbor, but don’t forget to say grace….” It presents a real critique that filters through the war machine to our acquiescence of these horrible atrocities while sitting in apathy at our dinner tables. I think it really speaks to de-humanization of those in faraway lands and those living next door. The music is great. The words are great, and unfortunately, still timely. It’s a classic.


PaulySure:
A few months ago, the night of November 8 to be exact, I was overcome with a sort of grief upon finding out that the angry tweeting misogynistic inexperienced oompa loompa had been elected to office. That feeling only lasted that night. November 9 brought about anger that I had not felt in a very long time—an anger that not as much made me want to destroy, but rather to create. I had in mind a protest video/art piece, depending on the view of the matter. The video would have involved close ups of me lighting some sort of U.S. Federal Reserve Note, possibly a $100 depending on how broke I was at the time, then using said note to light a cigar or cigarette, followed by using the note to then set an american flag on fire. I would then drop the flag on the ground, and have the camera stay focused on the flag as I walked away; hopefully a bald eagle would somehow drop dead out of the sky and burn up in the remains. So why did I not create this video? I couldn’t find the right song to use. Now that complete apathy has overcome me, I know that it would have been this song. 


SoDak:
When I was a child, I liked the growl in Barry McGuire’s voice. It sounded as if he was on the verge of spitting out the words. While the song was not polished, it was very catchy. I did not focus on the lyrics the first few times I heard the song. Absurdly, I became captivated by the song, when it was used repeatedly within an episode of The Greatest American Hero in 1981. I remember almost nothing else about this television show except for the blond, curly haired superhero and the theme song. In this episode, every time the superhero would get in his car, he would turn on the radio and “Eve of Destruction” was playing, which served as a warning prompting him to act to prevent a crazy U.S. general from firing nuclear weapons. As stupid as it sounds, the combination of the song and a plot focused on nuclear annihilation hit me, making me listen to the lyrics closer from this point forward. I remember the version on the show sounding odd—very clean. Since I had only seen this episode this one time, it was only much later that I learned that the version used on the show was sung by Joey Scarbury, who also sang the theme song for the television series. Following this show, I picked up a 45 single of the McGuire version and listened to it incessantly. Every election cycle, I could call a local radio station when it was request hour and ask for the song to be played and dedicated it to all the politicians running for office. This protest song only barely anticipated the shit that was culminating. Ever-expanding imperialist wars, the intensification of capitalist exploitation, the ongoing rise of fascist tendencies, and structural racism have turned the world into yet a bigger grave. “And you tell me, Over and over and over again my friend, Ah, you don’t believe, We’re on the eve of destruction.” “My blood’s so mad” watching this shit show within the country and world in general.





No comments:

Post a Comment