About Us


There is a good chance you found us accidentally by using the word “taint” in your search (If you found us on purpose, you deserve our accolades). Of course we don’t know what you were looking for, but you stumbled on a damn cool project. Look around; let us help send you on a musical journey. Here you will find a number of album reviews from the strange and extreme to the tame and mainstream. Our reviewers are a bunch of obsessive miscreants. Most of us are avid music collectors and have been involved in the music world for decades. A couple of us have been in or are still in bands.

There are no rules on Tickle Your Taint Blog. Our reviewers might make you laugh, or piss you off; both results are legitimate. One reviewer might write a glowing review of an album another might tear it apart. We may end up adopting a single review system, such as five stars, or each reviewer may use his own or none at all. We may have a new review every week or we could end up with one every six months. This blog exists as a social experiment to build community among a diverse group of music maniacs – our reviewers and hopefully you. Pull down your knickers, lube up and join us in tickling yours and our taints.


Monday, January 1, 2018

Jimmy "Explosive Diarrhea" B's Musical Obsessions 2017

By Jimmy B


I was a very busy man in 2017. I didn’t have a lot of free time for concerts or albums. But, I did manage to seek out some quality records and attend a few shows. The list below is not specifically about music released in 2017, rather it is stuff I purchased over the past year that really tickled my taint.

Albums – in no particular order

The Claudia Quintet, For (2007).
I can’t quite remember how I found this band, but it was an amazing find. I am at a loss to describe what sub-genre of jazz these folks play. There are some aspects of jazz fusion, and some traditional jazz moments. I think the addition of a vibraphone and accordion give this quintet a sound that is uniquely theirs. They also make liberal use of the clarinet which I am increasingly becoming a fan of. 

Trio Subtonic, discography.
I heard this band on the local Portland, Oregon, jazz radio station, and I was an immediate fan. Within a month of hearing them on the radio, I purchased their entire catalog. They are a local Portland trio who self-describe themselves as groove jazz, which is a good label for what they do. I also think of them as playing a sort of light rock jazz fusion. I am itching to see them live.

Herbie Hancock, Headhunter (1973).
I can’t explain why, but I always thought Herbie Hancock only existed in the 1980s, and that he only played 80s schlock. Now I realize how fucking dumb I am. Hancock created some of the best jazz fusion music of the 1970s. Headhunter is my favorite Hancock album. What separates Headhunter from other jazz fusion albums of the era is the liberal use of funk. And, I love funk.

Algiers, The Underside of Power (2017).
As a general rule, I avoid bands that use a lot of electronics, but every once in a while I benefit from breaking my own rules. The attraction to Algiers is the soulful vocals and the overall feeling of doom that is sometimes present in industrial music. The songs “Cry of the Martyrs” and “The Underside of Power” might be my favorite tunes of 2017 and The Underside of Power my favorite album of 2017.

Chuck Westmoreland, Self Titled (2016).
I saw Chuck Westmoreland open for Slim Cessna’s Auto Club in Portland. He was impressive live, and I took a chance and bought his album at the show. Portland is not a city known for its country and western bands, but perhaps Chuck Westmoreland will help change that. Stylistically Chuck is all over the place, there are some contemporary moments, and some rocking moments that scream 1970s honky tonk. It is all done with Westmoreland’s huge soulful voice.

Norska, Too Many Winters (2017).
I was about to give up on Portland, Oregon’s Norska. It seemed like they were never going to finish their new album. Oregon, in recent years, has become a hotspot for metal. Bands like YOB, Danava, Witch Mountain, and Red Fang have all made it from having strictly local followings to national, and in the case of YOB and Red Fang, international. Norska, I believe is the best of the bunch. Stylistically Too Many Winters is comparable to the style Red Fang has popularized. But, Norska does it with more panache, and greater musicianship. In my opinion, Too Many Winters is a slight step backward from Norska’s self-titled debut, which was a little more progressive. But Too Many Winters is a solidly rocking album.

Robert Plant, Carry Fire (2017).
I expected this album to suck. I have disliked every Robert Plant album, including the stuff he did with Jimmy Page, until his collaboration with Allison Kraus. Plant seems to have finally found a post Led Zeppelin style that suits his voice. Speaking of Plant’s voice, I felt like he sounded strained on Carry Fire. But this straining contributed to the emotional feel of the album. I fucking love albums that make me feel emotion. Plant made me tear up a couple times, and that for me is pure fucking gold.

The Helio Sequence, discography.
I saw The Helio Sequence open for The Church, and they blew me away. Awesome drumming, awesome vocals, and great song writing. I thought I was done with “alternative” rock. But, The Helio Sequence demonstrate that I just didn’t dig deep enough. 

The Church, Man Woman Life Death Infinity (2017).
What the fuck is going on? Robert Plant after decades released a masterpiece, and The Church released their best album yet in 2017! I have always found The Church to be a difficult band to talk about. They are not goth, not pop, not rock, not alternative, not post punk, and not new wave. So what are they? I have no idea, but I like it. There is something about Steve Kilbey’s voice coupled with the sparseness of the Church’s music that creates melancholy, tension, and release. I don’t have any other words to describe it. 

Kreator, Gods of Violence (2017).
It is time I admitted to myself that Kreator is the best and most consistent metal band from the 1980s. They have done what Slayer, Metallica, etc, have not been able to do – impress me again and again with each and every new release. In fact, I can’t think of any songs from any of their post-80s albums I have not liked. I also appreciate that Kreator has matured along with their fans and moved away from the simplistic songs about violence, death, and Satan – not that there is anything wrong with songs about Satan.

Shows

Frost and Fire, Ventura, CA.
My memory is like a steel sieve, but I think I also included Frost and Fire in my 2016 list. The 2017 lineup included Manilla Road, Raven, Bitch, and Cirith Ungol. I have wanted to see Raven since I was in high school (approximately one century ago). They were old chubby guys (like me), but holy shit they could and did rock the fuck out. Manilla Road blew me away. If you have the chance to see these guys, go for fuck’s sake. The Manilla guys are extremely talented, and their banter with the crowd was fun. I had seen Cirith Ungol before so I knew what to expect, and they delivered a very good show. Also they are nice guys and very welcoming of fan interaction. The old NWOBHM band, Panther, was also great.

The Pack AD and Skull Diver, Portland, OR.
This was my third time seeing the Pack AD. The first time I saw them they played what I think of as blues punk – power chords with blues style vocals. They have over the past ten years become better musicians. The power chords are still there, but the guitar playing is now more varied, and the drumming is as it has always been – a good fit, but a little more subtle than in the past. The ladies in the Pack have become more pop oriented, but still a lot of fun to see live.

The Church and Helio Sequence, Portland, OR.
SoDak introduced me to The Church, fifteen years ago, and they have been among my favorite bands for most of this time. I never get tired of Steve Kilby’s voice. The show contained a lot of slow tempo songs, but it was the right show at the right time. I was feeling a bit slow tempo myself.

Books

I read a lot of music biographies in 2017, but only a one merits a recommendation. 

Tony Fletcher, Moon: The Life and Death of a Rock Legend (1999).
If you are a Who fan, and you only want to read one book about the band, read Moon. It is often said about The Who that they had a lead guitarist, a lead singer, a lead bassist and a lead drummer. I believe this is true. But, if people were pressed to think of who the leader was, most would say Pete Townsend. Pete wrote most of the songs, and determined the intellectual direction of the band. But, the reality of The Who is that Keith Moon was the band leader, at least until his alcohol and drug habits completely took over his life. Keith’s immaturity, recklessness, insecurity, and need for love and recognition dominated the band emotionally, publicly, and in some cases creatively. If you are looking for a book that glorifies the rock and roll lifestyle, look elsewhere. But, if you truly want to understand a rock and roll icon, Moon is for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment