About Us


There is a good chance you found us accidentally by using the word “taint” in your search (If you found us on purpose, you deserve our accolades). Of course we don’t know what you were looking for, but you stumbled on a damn cool project. Look around; let us help send you on a musical journey. Here you will find a number of album reviews from the strange and extreme to the tame and mainstream. Our reviewers are a bunch of obsessive miscreants. Most of us are avid music collectors and have been involved in the music world for decades. A couple of us have been in or are still in bands.

There are no rules on Tickle Your Taint Blog. Our reviewers might make you laugh, or piss you off; both results are legitimate. One reviewer might write a glowing review of an album another might tear it apart. We may end up adopting a single review system, such as five stars, or each reviewer may use his own or none at all. We may have a new review every week or we could end up with one every six months. This blog exists as a social experiment to build community among a diverse group of music maniacs – our reviewers and hopefully you. Pull down your knickers, lube up and join us in tickling yours and our taints.


Sunday, November 7, 2010

Grinderman 2

(Anti 9/2010) 

Reviewed by Anita Papsmear.

Let me begin by saying that, first and foremost, I am a big Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds fan.  If you were hoping for an unbiased review – you’ll have to Tickle Your Taint away from this site!  My love for Nick & the Seeds started the first time I saw their live performance documented in a lovely Wim Wender’s film Wings of Desire.   I was smitten.  The performance was raw and gritty with a trance-like quality.  Then, they grabbed me by the heart and spun my head around in 1992 when I heard, “The Mercy Seat”.    Stunning.  I was hooked.  After that I salivated with each new release – right up through, Dig, Lazarus, Dig (which is fucking brilliant!).  I had the good fortune of seeing them live in 1994 when they toured with Lollapalooza.   It was yet another enthralling performance that culminated with Mr. Cave bound in his microphone cord, writhing on the stage floor.  Amazing.  

I was VJing for an alternative video program (Teletunes) and had the opportunity to interview him at that show.  I was pretty green at the time so when he suggested we do the interview in the bathroom, I jumped at the chance – what a great atmosphere!  He had to have known that the acoustics would render the audio portion of the interview footage unusable – which it did!  He sat on the toilet (lid closed) and I leaned against the sink, while our cameraman stood in front of the bathroom door between us.  Nick had a dirty laundry list of grievances he needed to vent:  Oprah, U.S. politics, consumerism and the vast numbers of lemmings numbed by corporate news and inane television shows.  He’s a passionate, intelligent man with a mission and he can spew a mixture of loathing and love like no other.  

That brings me to the latest Grinderman project, their second release, aptly entitled, 2.  It’s Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds pretty much intact: Nick, Warren, Martyn & Jim (minus a couple regulars – Mick Harvey, most notably).   Now, buck up that little puckernutter and let’s do this… 

Track 1: “Mickey Mouse and the Goodbye Man” 

I had to recheck the volume on my player as, it takes a good 29 seconds for this baby to kick in (much like a good buzz).  And, much like a good buzz, it’s worth the wait!  The snarling is unmistakably Cave.  There is something a little more relaxed and loose in the song structures of Grinderman 2 (if you are comparing them to the music of NC & TBS).  When the band went into the studio, they didn’t have a set song or lyric structure.  They recorded a bunch of stuff, and then put the songs together piece by piece.  This first track is catchy.   It sets a driving pace with the drums just a partial second too fast.  It heads towards mania, getting your adrenaline going but, it’s an intoxicating trip. 

“And we sucked her, and we sucked her, and we sucked her dry.” 

Track 2:  “Worm Tamer” 

It’s only track 2 and I’m in love.  It rides a darkened “Ring of Fire” undertone, surrounded by hard, sinister guitars.  This song reminds me of speeding on a very dark road too late at night.  It’s uber-catchy and has a smooth slither. 

“I’m only happy when I’m inside her…” 

It’s a hit if I’ve ever heard one. 

Track 3: “Heathen Child” 

This is the track they released as a single – and it’s good – but I find it a little repetitive.  I often find that album tracks are better than the “single” that is release off the album.  No matter how menacing it gets – and there are plenty of dark themes and aching moments on this cd, there is always a sweet spot of sunshine somewhere on the horizon. 

Track 4:   “When My Baby Comes” 

This is a gentler ditty, instantly catchy (although there is some lyrical disturbance in the honey). 
  
“She got hands as white as milk and she weaves a loop of silk that glistens…
When my baby comes…
There’s an ancient question behind her eyes that I can’t even begin to describe.
Hey Listen, don’t do that on the carpet. When my baby comes…
Well they had pistols and they had guns
My skirt above my head. Well I was much older when I crawled out from
Under that mushroom cloud.” 

Track 5 & 6: 

From track 5’s ambient and stripped down style to the howling “evil” in track 6, this CD doesn’t disappoint!  Part of what I love about this musical clan is that there is always something that feels a bit naughty and pleasantly tingly about listening to their music.  At times, I feel like I may have sinned. 

Track 7:  “Kitchenette” 

By now, I’ve decided that this is one of my favorite CDs of the year.  This tune has a bit of a 70’s rock feel with a very loose – boarding on enthralling – vocal performance by Nick Cave. 

“I keep hanging around your kitchenette and I’m gonna find a pot to cook you in. 
I put my fingers in your biscuit jar and crush all your gingerbread men.”

Track 8:  “Palaces of Montezuma” 

This track comes as a sweet surprise after a night of terror. Warm and gentle – reminiscent of a summer day – it’s lovely. 

Track 9:  “Bellringer Blues” 

A great track to end with – leaving you with a smooth finish.  It weaves a catchy melody with compellingly, dark lyrics. 

Final conclusion…. This cd is fucking fantastic….  5 out of 5 smears.  I highly recommend it!    

Signed, Anita Papsmear 



4 comments:

  1. I have heard Nick Cave's name for years, but have never heard anything I can attribute to him. Looks like it might be time to give him a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not heard the Grinderman CDs. Sounds like I really need to check them out. I loved the music he did for the film The Proposition, as well as The Road. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nick Cave is awesome. Love his music and his books. Love the new record.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just heard this album for the first time two nights ago, and thought it rocked -- will definitely have to pick it up!

    ReplyDelete