About Us


There is a good chance you found us accidentally by using the word “taint” in your search (If you found us on purpose, you deserve our accolades). Of course we don’t know what you were looking for, but you stumbled on a damn cool project. Look around; let us help send you on a musical journey. Here you will find a number of album reviews from the strange and extreme to the tame and mainstream. Our reviewers are a bunch of obsessive miscreants. Most of us are avid music collectors and have been involved in the music world for decades. A couple of us have been in or are still in bands.

There are no rules on Tickle Your Taint Blog. Our reviewers might make you laugh, or piss you off; both results are legitimate. One reviewer might write a glowing review of an album another might tear it apart. We may end up adopting a single review system, such as five stars, or each reviewer may use his own or none at all. We may have a new review every week or we could end up with one every six months. This blog exists as a social experiment to build community among a diverse group of music maniacs – our reviewers and hopefully you. Pull down your knickers, lube up and join us in tickling yours and our taints.


Monday, November 8, 2010

AC/DC – ’74 Jailbreak

(Atlantic, 1984)

Reviewed by Jimmy “Explosive Diarrhea” B.

I have a love/hate relationship with AC/DC. I love Bon Scott, but hate Brian Johnson. There are a lot of bands whose careers can be broken up into eras. This could be due to a style change, like the change in Iron Maiden after Powerslave when they adopted progressive jazz structures. Or the era is defined by the inclusion/removal of one of the key members. Van Halen is a good example, although I defy anyone to tell me how the music changed with the inclusion of Sammy Hagar. AC/DC changed in both ways.

Bon Scott was a fantastic storyteller. Scott is one of the most underrated lyricists in rock. Bon Scott and Angus Young collaborated on the writing and composition of most of AC/DC’s songs and the result could be stunning. The music wasn’t about highlighting Young’s manic personality as it came to be in the Brian Johnson era, it was about helping the lyrics unfold into a story. With the end of this collaboration, due to Bon Scott’s death, AC/DC turned to shit. They became boring and formulaic. I often joke that you can overlay the drumming from any AC/DC song over any other song and they will match perfectly.

’74 jailbreak is my favorite AC/DC album, for the simple reason that it showcases what Bon Scott did best; the telling of everyman stories. Check out these lyrics from “Jailbreak,”

There was a friend of mine on murder
And the judge’s gavel fell,
Jury found him guilty,
Gave him sixteen years in hell.
He said, “I ain’t spending my life here,
I ain’t living alone
Ain’t breaking no rocks on the chain gang,
I’m breakin’ out and headin’ home…

Heatbeats they were racin’,
Freedom he was chasin’
Spotlights, sirens, rifles firing,
But he made it out
With a bullet in his back.

Now add guitar solos and a beat that highlights the action of the story and you get an idea of what AC/DC was at their best, and their best only happened under the tutelage of Scott.

 ’74 Jailbreak is the most varied and most creative record in AC/DC’s catalog. There are actual drum fills on this record. Let me say that again, there are fucking drum fills on this record. It turns out that AC/DC’s drummer can actually drum a bit. The song “Soul Stripper” begins with an almost disco funk and simple drumbeat, but it takes off and there are numerous tempo changes. The album, as a whole, is much more bluesy than what we normally associate with AC/DC. There are moments when the band seems to be on the verge of breaking into a blues stomp.  My only complaint about ’74 Jailbreak is that it is too fucking short. It was released as an e.p. in 1984, nearly a decade after most of the songs were written, and several years after Johnson joined the band. It was almost as if the band realized they had turned to shit and needed a rock and roll injection so they could face themselves and their fans.

Fuck the Brian Johnson era of AC/DC and fuck all the poser assholes who think they are AC/DC fans because they can sing along to “You Shook me all Night Long.” If you don’t know Bon Scott, you don’t know AC/DC. If you only allow yourself to buy one AC/DC album, pick up ’74 Jailbreak.

I tickled my taint for 9 minutes

5 comments:

  1. Fuck Brian Johnson! Except for a few songs! Never liked his voice, never will.

    I grew to love Bon Scott-era AC/DC after listening to Highway to Hell a few years ago. It's still in my regular rotation. What a rockin' album! I'll have to check out '74 Jailbreak now. Thanks, Jimmy "Explosive Diarrhea" B!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jimmy,

    It think I tickled my taint for the full 24 minutes. I think if the fucking thing was any longer my purple head would simply pop off.

    Every time I listen to Jailbreak, I wait patiently for Bon to groan out the climatic "bullet in his BACK." Fucking awesome.

    I totally get your Brian Johnson take, but I am curious. Can you tolerate a song like Bedlam in Belgium, or is Brian simply too much high fructose corn syrup for your bloodstream?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kloghole, I am willing to shake my ass to a couple of songs on Flick of the Switch. There are also a couple songs on the Back in Black album that are taint ticklers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do like several AC/DC records with Brian Johnson. But the Bon Scott records are awesome. I like that Bon Scott focused on a telling a story within the songs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jimmy B, When we had our "little" parties at the Jungle, one of my roommates commented on the AC/DC problem. Someone would ask us to play some AC/DC, and then when we asked what, they always said anything off Back in Black. Get's old after a while.

    ReplyDelete