About Us


There is a good chance you found us accidentally by using the word “taint” in your search (If you found us on purpose, you deserve our accolades). Of course we don’t know what you were looking for, but you stumbled on a damn cool project. Look around; let us help send you on a musical journey. Here you will find a number of album reviews from the strange and extreme to the tame and mainstream. Our reviewers are a bunch of obsessive miscreants. Most of us are avid music collectors and have been involved in the music world for decades. A couple of us have been in or are still in bands.

There are no rules on Tickle Your Taint Blog. Our reviewers might make you laugh, or piss you off; both results are legitimate. One reviewer might write a glowing review of an album another might tear it apart. We may end up adopting a single review system, such as five stars, or each reviewer may use his own or none at all. We may have a new review every week or we could end up with one every six months. This blog exists as a social experiment to build community among a diverse group of music maniacs – our reviewers and hopefully you. Pull down your knickers, lube up and join us in tickling yours and our taints.


Sunday, January 22, 2012

Bright as Night Records Comp 2 -The Time Vacuum (2011)

By Jimmy (Explosive Diarrhea) B.

Recently Jason from Bright as Night Records (BNR) contacted me to ask me if I would like to review the labels latest compilation release. Naturally, I said yes, it was after all free swag. And, I am a sucker for underground music and do it yourself projects. The goal of BNR is to bring unknown bands out from their basements and practice spaces and into your ears. I am here to help. In the review that follows, I will point out my favorite tracks and direct you to a place where you can hear more from the bands.

There is a little something on this release for everyone or a lot of something if you are an eclectic music listener. The music on this release runs the gamut from folk rock to post-rock to thrash metal. If I counted correctly there are nineteen different bands on this 22 track record. Some of these bands either share my home base of Portland, OR, or have a Portland connection. I was familiar with most of these local bands already. My hearing is probably colored by this phonic history, because half of my favorite tracks have a Portland connection. My favorite tracks are by the Vanishing Kids, Dark Farmers, Members of the Press, Canyons of Static and Gnome Sorcery Federation.

Fellow music reviewer, Dave, introduced me to the Vanishing Kids a few years ago. They are fucking awesome, and their two tracks are hands down my favorites on the CD. The track titled, The Unlit Path, presents a different style for the V. Kids. Normally when I listen to the Kids I sense a little bit of a Cure vibe from them. Not on this comp. The track entitled, "The Unlit Path" is harder and more progressive than most of their songs. Fucking awesome! The second Vanishing Kids track, "Mother Earth", showcases the voice of their wonderful and powerful singer. I saw the Vanishing Kids live a few times in Portland, and I am convinced that they had (before relocating to Wisconsin) not only the best singer in the Pacific Northwest, but one of the best anywhere.

Vanishing Kids: Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/vanishingkids

Another stand out track is “Night of the Long Knives” by Dark Farmers. This track reminds me a little bit of Russian Circles, whom I love. I must get a full length release from this band—they need a record deal.

Dark Farmers: Check them out at: http://www.myspace.com/darkfarmers

I am having a hard time typing while picking my jaw up off the floor. Canyons of Static are fucking awesome. A few years ago I went to see New Model Army with Mr. and Mrs. SoDak. The opening band was called Vale. I don’t expect you to have heard of them, and I apologize for the obscure reference, but I love Vale. Canyons of Static have that same understated shoegaze sound that I love in Vale, but with a bit of postrock packaging.

Give them a listen: http://www.myspace.com/canyonsofstatic/music

The Members of the Press track is not for everyone, particularly those who feel that music begins and ends with guitar solos. Members of the Press are a three piece with two basses and a drummer. As you would expect from two basses this track is mega-heavy and is VERY interesting and experimental. I realize this is yet another obscure musical reference, but the sludginess (and only the sludginess, the styles of the bands are very different) of Members of the Press reminds me of Beasts of the Field.

Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/membersofthepress

Before attempting to describe the Gnome Sorcery Federation track, I must disclose that the guitar player for the Gnomes is Tickle Your Taint’s own reviewer, Dave. I admit to being biased towards this band. That being said, holy shit these fuckers are nerdy—gloriously nerdy and awesome. Only a group of nerds would have the word gnome in their name and have D and D lyrics. My love of all things Dave and dislike of nerdy pursuits aside, this track is odd, but rocking. There are enough tempo changes to keep things interesting. Also the Gnomes have, for lack of a better term, a democratic sound. They are either a band of lead musicians—lead bass, lead guitar, lead drums, etc—or they are a band consisting of shy nerds who want to avoid stepping forward into the light and taking control.

GSF: http://www.myspace.com/thegsf

Truthfully, I expected to be disappointed by this compilation, like I have been of so many others in the past. Particularly bad are all those fucking tribute comps. I have taken to copying the one or two good songs from comps and saving them to my computer and throwing out the discs, but that is another topic for another day. The BNR comp contains several songs that I love, many more that I like, only two that I really do not care for. The Bright as Night Records Comp 2 is a CD that I am going to keep around and display proudly. I suspect that there are a few bands on the comp that will go on to get record deals, and only I, and those like me, who had the foresight to get this comp, will have a piece of those artists early histories. We will be able to say, “I knew them when…” and you, my friends, will feel incomplete and jealous. Why put yourself through the pain of feeling inferior on some future date. Friends, you must ensure your future happiness. Contact Bright as Night Records and get this comp.

You can contact them through their myspace page at: http://www.myspace.com/brightasnightrecords

1 comment: