About Us


There is a good chance you found us accidentally by using the word “taint” in your search (If you found us on purpose, you deserve our accolades). Of course we don’t know what you were looking for, but you stumbled on a damn cool project. Look around; let us help send you on a musical journey. Here you will find a number of album reviews from the strange and extreme to the tame and mainstream. Our reviewers are a bunch of obsessive miscreants. Most of us are avid music collectors and have been involved in the music world for decades. A couple of us have been in or are still in bands.

There are no rules on Tickle Your Taint Blog. Our reviewers might make you laugh, or piss you off; both results are legitimate. One reviewer might write a glowing review of an album another might tear it apart. We may end up adopting a single review system, such as five stars, or each reviewer may use his own or none at all. We may have a new review every week or we could end up with one every six months. This blog exists as a social experiment to build community among a diverse group of music maniacs – our reviewers and hopefully you. Pull down your knickers, lube up and join us in tickling yours and our taints.


Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Eyehategod- Eyehategod (Housecore Records, 2014)


By Dave

Eyehategod is one of those bands that took me a number of years to wrap my head around. The raw angst, lo-fi production values, howling feedback,  larynx shredding stories of drug abuse, and southern nihilism just rubbed me the wrong way. Eyehategod seemed to revel in all that I despised in my own struggles with depression, and my personal rejection of drugs and alcohol.

Prior to this release I checked out an online stream of the single “New Orleans Is the New Vietnam.” In my humble opinion the song speaks powerfully of the impact the Hurricane Katrina tragedy had on the local population. This wasn’t just another GG Allen inspired nihilism trip. I heard the desperate punk fury in the vocals and subtle dynamic changes roll through the wall of sludgy riffs. Very human, inventive drumming really ties the track together in a great way.

I guess this is nothing new for the long time EHG fan, but some things just clicked for me in the last year, and this music speaks to me these days. Maybe after having a few too many run-ins with liberal arts students/graduates dressed up like loggers I’ve re-evaluated my background, and embraced a darker side of my working-class background.  

In an era when so many metal bands rely on triggered electronic drums, inhumanly precise guitar playing, and song structures taken directly from a Guitar Institute textbook we need bands like Eyehategod to keep the music organic and human. In the realm of stoner metal, Eyehategod has always taken a turn to the dark side of human experience. They have carried on the raw primitive tension of late Black Flag and early Melvins records, which are classics in my book. This is the key element that has really drawn me into this record. Even though the album is surprisingly polished for an EHG release, it still has the rough edges and loose groove that are key to the Eyehategod sound. There are a couple hardcore punk tracks on the record that really break the album up very nicely. While there isn’t much really new happening on this record, it was the right album to come out at the right time for me.

With a couple notable exceptions in mind I’ve been pretty uninspired by the state of modern metal. It seems to have gone on one hand the route of Steve Vai with cookie monster vocals played in double time, while the other side has turned to mind numbing ‘70s arena rock worship. As the Mike Watt song says, “The kids of today should defend themselves against the seventies.” I find the return of Eyehategod to be a refreshing blast of good old ugly snarling American metal.  

3 comments:

  1. I saw eyehategod many years ago. It was pretty intense. The new record is probably my favorite record by them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a good review with personal connections. Well done.

    ReplyDelete