About Us


There is a good chance you found us accidentally by using the word “taint” in your search (If you found us on purpose, you deserve our accolades). Of course we don’t know what you were looking for, but you stumbled on a damn cool project. Look around; let us help send you on a musical journey. Here you will find a number of album reviews from the strange and extreme to the tame and mainstream. Our reviewers are a bunch of obsessive miscreants. Most of us are avid music collectors and have been involved in the music world for decades. A couple of us have been in or are still in bands.

There are no rules on Tickle Your Taint Blog. Our reviewers might make you laugh, or piss you off; both results are legitimate. One reviewer might write a glowing review of an album another might tear it apart. We may end up adopting a single review system, such as five stars, or each reviewer may use his own or none at all. We may have a new review every week or we could end up with one every six months. This blog exists as a social experiment to build community among a diverse group of music maniacs – our reviewers and hopefully you. Pull down your knickers, lube up and join us in tickling yours and our taints.


Tuesday, December 26, 2017

El Jefe's 2017 Musical Obsessions

By El Jefe

2017 was the year I returned to music as a source of pain relief. It has been a long while, as I thought I could not find time for it. I still have not gotten around to finding time for exercise, but at least I was able to spend time with some great musical productions. It was actually set off in large part by the passing of Chris Cornell. There is too much history for me there, and this news cut me down. I listened passionately to my old Soundgarden music, and expanded my knowledge of Audioslave, and even a lot of Cornell’s solo work with which I was not familiar. Did you know he did a cover of “Billie Jean”? I did not. Standing out here was the Audioslave song, “Doesn’t Remind Me.” I think I will always associate this song with his passing. 

This musical new beginning for me also involved familiarizing myself with the work of Elliot Smith. I am embarrassed to say that I was not familiar with his music before this year. I now add Steven Paul “Elliot” Smith to my list of all-time favorites, along with such venerable names as Tom Waits and Mark Lanegan. These musicians are, for me, the palliative to a life experience that often feels like we are moving toward an unpleasant end, but the darkness in it is a subtle beauty. This is something to latch on to as we move through complicated days:

I’ll fake it through the day
With some help from Johnny Walker Red
And the cold pain behind my eyes
That shoots back through my head

Like Cornell, Elliot Smith died suddenly and unexpectedly early. I am sorry I did not know him better sooner. This music expresses magnificent and lovely anguish, and I cherish it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment