About Us


There is a good chance you found us accidentally by using the word “taint” in your search (If you found us on purpose, you deserve our accolades). Of course we don’t know what you were looking for, but you stumbled on a damn cool project. Look around; let us help send you on a musical journey. Here you will find a number of album reviews from the strange and extreme to the tame and mainstream. Our reviewers are a bunch of obsessive miscreants. Most of us are avid music collectors and have been involved in the music world for decades. A couple of us have been in or are still in bands.

There are no rules on Tickle Your Taint Blog. Our reviewers might make you laugh, or piss you off; both results are legitimate. One reviewer might write a glowing review of an album another might tear it apart. We may end up adopting a single review system, such as five stars, or each reviewer may use his own or none at all. We may have a new review every week or we could end up with one every six months. This blog exists as a social experiment to build community among a diverse group of music maniacs – our reviewers and hopefully you. Pull down your knickers, lube up and join us in tickling yours and our taints.


Wednesday, January 24, 2018

Olenka and the Autumn Lovers, Papillonette EP (2008)



By Beert

Back in the summer of 2015, I attended a very diverse show in Rapid City, which included dance, punk, noise, folk, and doom, all in one night. My mind continually goes back to how incredible Olenka and the Autumn Lovers were. Going in to the show, I only knew two bands— my own band at the time, Corundum, and Japanese noise-masters The Atomic Whirl. But my ears were captured by Olenka and the Autumn Lovers. While my 2015 year-end review on this site stated I would review all of their albums, I’m limiting myself to only one. But I highly recommend you get all they have to offer, and you’ll see why.

I have chosen my favorite release by them—Papillonette. Right from the start, this band shows you what they’re made of. The song “Flash in the Pan” is on my very short list of perfect songs. The music is haunting and sad—everything that makes a fantastic country-folk song. It is full of emotion and has biting, heart-wrenching lyrics sung in an almost breathless voice, backed by music that cradles you in its arms while wiping the tears away. Listen to the song and you’ll see what I mean. Here is a few of the lyrics:

My brain’s in a fuzzy little coating
of alcohol and lies. No goodbyes.
I dream I’m careening down the freeway
to your naked eyes, past the lies.

It is a prefect driving and crying song. It soothes and it digs into a well of emotion. I could put this song on repeat all day.

The song “Blue” follows, and it’s another beauty. It is a tale of sadness and loneliness, regarding pushing away another who loves you, knowing you’ll only let them down. The song is beautiful. It is a great folksy tune that hits me in the heart.

Please don’t go to so much trouble.
There is nothing you can do.
Don’t you know I’ll simply make you
blue?

I think we’ve all been there.

“Papillon” comes in just prior to the midway point of the EP. It has the feel of a waltz, filled with sadness and loss, with lyrics about a butterfly searching for lost love and seeing the sadness in others. Sung in French, the meaning comes through whether you speak the language or not. This song could easily be a James Bond theme, although not to A View to a Kill, even though it had killer “butterflies” in a non-existent restaurant in the Eiffel Tower. 

“45” rises after the song of the sad butterfly. And goddamn is this song great. Set in the carnage of the Second World War, it’s a chilling tale about a soldier on the front line who knew he would die before all was said and done. It’s another superb effort by this band. They have the ability to convey so much with minimalistic lyrics, and the music takes you on the journey as well. You can almost imagine the ghost of this soldier, sitting on a bombed-out building, strumming away on a ghostly guitar, plucking the strings of the instrument and the hearts of those who walk by.

They got me on the front in 45
’cause I didn’t have the strength to stay alive.
You know I did the best I could. 
Mama I was good and then I died.
Oh lord in 45. 

“Tennessee” lulls you into a false sense of happiness as the music plucks along. Lyrically, I interpret the song to be about what was to be, but did not become. One of the lines in the song explains, “we had dreams and plans, but they never came to fruition.” Such a song here is done better than most, in my opinion.

“The Decline” finishes off the album. While it also contains sadness, it has a “make the best of a bad situation” intent. It seems to suggest that “shit’s going down, and I’m going down singin’ and dancing.’” There is melancholy, but also not. The vocal delivery is really the highlight. As the music builds, the vocals bring out a defiance and a “fuck you” attitude. It has the attitude that if I’m going out, I’m going out on my own terms. Brilliant!

If I’ve got to hit the ground,
I guess I’ll try
to have a good time 

in the decline….

This album is easily in my top 10. If you give it a listen (and then a purchase it, because you will want to purchase it), you’ll understand why. The songs get into your head, and you won’t want them to leave.



No comments:

Post a Comment