About Us


There is a good chance you found us accidentally by using the word “taint” in your search (If you found us on purpose, you deserve our accolades). Of course we don’t know what you were looking for, but you stumbled on a damn cool project. Look around; let us help send you on a musical journey. Here you will find a number of album reviews from the strange and extreme to the tame and mainstream. Our reviewers are a bunch of obsessive miscreants. Most of us are avid music collectors and have been involved in the music world for decades. A couple of us have been in or are still in bands.

There are no rules on Tickle Your Taint Blog. Our reviewers might make you laugh, or piss you off; both results are legitimate. One reviewer might write a glowing review of an album another might tear it apart. We may end up adopting a single review system, such as five stars, or each reviewer may use his own or none at all. We may have a new review every week or we could end up with one every six months. This blog exists as a social experiment to build community among a diverse group of music maniacs – our reviewers and hopefully you. Pull down your knickers, lube up and join us in tickling yours and our taints.


Wednesday, December 30, 2020

Anita Papsmear’s Best of 2020

By Anita Papsmear

Well my musical kittens…it’s been quite a year. I hope this finds you and yours safe and healthy. My uterine-deep-felt thoughts are with you. Especially with those of you who have suffered loss in these most difficult times. The constant for many of us is art; and nothing quite lifts my sagging vagina like music. I must admit, 2020 was weird for me too. I felt uncreative and experienced more than one bout of malaise. I listened a lot. Most times, I couldn’t hear the music above the cries for justice, equality, reason, and basic decencies. These are heavy flow times, and it’s been hard to focus on much else. Just the cramping of our country. But remember my dear friends, with the flow comes the contractions of periodic cleansing. The festering and the unwelcome are removed from the collective. With that release comes a chance for a new breath, a new lining, a new world. Music is our heartbeat, our life, our voice. So, with that, I wish you all the best in the coming new year. 

Now, let’s take a look at the tunes that helped guide us through the birth canal of 2020. 

Forever yours, Anita

Rating System:
5 smears = the best, most perfect offering a band/artist can do—it’s downright malignant. 
4 smears = almost perfect, pretty sure it’s malignant. 
3 smears = middle of the road—not bad, not awesome—it’s a biopsy moment. 
2 smears = you best change your diet and exercise right quick. 
1 smear = benign—no good. 

The songs/albums listed below have all earned the coveted 5 smear rating.


Best songs of 2020, in no particular order:

Arab Strap, “Comparison Part 1,” from As Days Get Dark
Full CD out 2021. This is a perfect song for a road trip. 


Thee Oh Sees, “If I Had My Way,” from Protean Threat
If I had cool badges to give out, this band would get one. Their musical library is filled with great tunes. This song was a standout in 2020: 

I’m a little bit dry
I’m a little bit wet
I’m a little bit concerned with that compost on your breath
I’m a little bit high
I’m a little bit low
I’m all filled with nonsense since you talk so goddamn slow


Tricky, “Fall Please,” from Fall to Pieces. 
Marta sings quite a bit on this CD and I have always felt that Tricky is at his best with her. I was drawn to this song in particular, as the lyrics take on deeper meaning as the video story is told. 



Idles, “Grounds,” from Ultra Mono.
The Bristol, England, band hits a home run on their third release. Great tunes for people who give a fuck.


Holy Fuck, “Deleter,” from Deleter
It’s a dancey gem that features Angus Andrew from the band, Liars. Really decent CD too.


Yves Tumor, “Gospel for a New Century,” from Heaven to a Tortured Mind
Sean Bowie has been on my radar for a while now. Born in Tennessee, now living in Turin, Italy, “Gospel for a New Century” is a fantastically catchy tune. Sean states Throbbing Gristle as a major influence. I also hear Prince, Anthony Kiedis, and more in his music. Cin Cin! 



My Morning Jacket, “Magic Bullet,” The Waterfall II
Great record and a timely tune about the connection between gun violence and mental health. 

That low feeling starts to get to me
Need to find escape
So smoke it fills the lungs
And drink corrupts the brain
And morals get confused
In a desperate mind
And there ain’t no wrong or right
In a desperate time
 

Perfume Genius, “On the Floor,” from Set My Heart on Fire Immediately
It’s upbeat musically, but this song is about struggles with unrequited love, forbidden love, and the demons that hold a person in shame when society “doesn’t approve.” It could easily be about the relationship to one’s body after a violation. I dig songs with multiple meanings. This is catchy, beautiful, and deep.  


The Strokes, “The Adults Are Talking,” from The New Abnormal
It’s had tons of airplay, so it really doesn’t need my support. The song is undeniably catchy, and The Strokes deserve credit for churning out great songs over these last 22 years. 


Moby, “Power Is Taken,” which features D.H. Peligro, from All Visible Objects
Moby is king. He is so talented and makes amazing music that everyone from kids to geriatrics can love. Another great album and the video for “Power Is Taken” is a summation of America’s disgusting underbelly. 


Black Lips, “Hooker Jon,” from Sing in a World That’s Falling Apart. 
Black Lips are one of my favorite bands. What I like about them is their ability to put out great punk-lite songs that get their ideology across with humor. This song was my favorite off Sing in a World That’s Falling Apart. Great live too! I highly recommend catching them at a venue near you next time they come around.


Jake Bugg, “Rabbit Hole,” single. 
This guy! So good.


Unloved, “Strange Effect,” single. 
It’s like The Supremes on acid. Yum! 


Baxter Dury, “The Night Chancers,” from The Night Chancers
Yup. Son of that Dury (Ian). Not that it’s important, but when you hear his voice, the question will come to mind. When Baxter is on, he is on! I have attached evidence. 



Faithless, “What Shall I Do?” from All Blessed
This is an important song and there’s no video (insert sad face here). You can listen to the song and read lyrics here:  



Paul Weller, “Mirror Ball,” from On Set
Gorgeous, fucking song.


Chromatics, “Twist the Knife,” from Faded Now
Their last couple albums haven’t been up to par, if you ask me (you did, didn’t you?). No matter, I still love them, and one of the disappointments of 2020 was the cancellation of their U.S. tour. Nice tune here.


The Go Go’s, “Club Zero,” single. 
The chorus says it all, “Zero Fucks Given.” These women should be in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame.


Best Full-Length Albums in 2020, in no particular order:

Glass Animals, Dreamland
It’s everything you would want from Glass Animals and more. If you haven’t seen them live, I highly recommend it. They are vibrant, bubbly, and whimsical, while still having something to say. Best tracks include: “Domestic Bliss,” “Space Ghost Coast to Coast,” and “Tangerine” (there is a nice version of this song with Arlo Parks on YouTube).


Jamie Lenman, King of Clubs
I discovered Jamie last year when he released brilliant covers of Cyndi Lauper’s “She Bop” and Seal’s “Killer.” He was immediately on my forever radar. A former illustrator and bandmate of England’s Reuben, he embarked on his solo career several years ago. I was late to Lenmania. King of Clubs is a continuation of his artistic abilities and marks songs with the most important themes of this weird year. It’s the closest I get to “Cookie Monster Rock.” He doesn’t hang out in the scream zone too long though. Just enough to release that pent up 2020 anger. I have included 3 videos that are must views: “The Future Is Dead” (featuring Illaman), “I Don’t Wanna Be Your Friend,” and “Like Me Better.” 







Death Valley Girls, Under the Spell of Joy.
I’m a fan and have been since the first album. This record is a bit more accessible, but they didn’t skimp on songwriting or musical content. Great CD. Best tracks include: “Little Things,” “I’d Rather Be Dreaming,” “Bliss Out,” and the single “Hold My Hand.”


Michael Kiwanuka, Kiwanuka (2019). 
This guy! He is responsible for more earworms over the past year than anyone else. His self-titled CD rolled out in November of 2019, so it was just getting into full swing at the turn of the year. It’s a beautiful disc with some very strong tracks: “Rolling,” “Hero,” and “Final Days.” Although the track I included isn’t on this new release, if you haven’t heard 2017’s “Cold Little Heart,” I put it here for you. It’s pure beauty. 



Lunar Twin, Ghost Moon Ritual
This is beautiful. Bryce has a voice that will haunt the recesses of your mind. Each of this duo’s Eps are distinct and gorgeous. Ghost Moon Ritual is a full-length release of immense beauty and a wee bit o’ broodiness. The songwriting is luscious; the music is mesmerizing. Favorite tracks include: “Cinema,” “Electric Lights,” “Hawks,” and “Mountains Turn To Dust.” 


Black Rainbows, Cosmic Ritual Supertrip
Another solid release from these crunchy psychedelic rockers. Favorite tracks include: “Universal Phase,” “Radio 666,” “Isolation,” and “Glittereyzed.”


Yello, Point.
This was an unexpected musical surprise. What a fun, energetic, well-crafted release from these colorful pioneers. My favorites are: “Waba Duba,” “Out Of Sight,” “Arthur Spark,” and “Hot Pan.”  



The Pack A.D., It Was Fun While It Lasted
For you, annual smear readers, the presence of The Pack A.D. on my list is not a surprise. Canadian powerhouse duo, Maya & Becky, never disappoint. The songwriting is lit and the influences on It Was Fun While It Lasted conjur The Cramps and Sonic Youth. Every album is chalk full of great songs and their wall of sound is similar to that of The White Stripes (purr) and The Kills (double purr). Favorite tracks include: “Soul Warden,” “Change Kills,” and the attached-for-your-pleasure “Give Up” and “Reprogram.”






Golf Dolls, Die Trying
Dare I say this is accessible punk? It’s fucking great whatever the identifying tag. The songwriting is whimsical and serious, the rhythms upbeat with just the right amount of fuzz. “Microchip Your Children,” “Que Responsible,” and “WWIII Ace” are gems. “Magic Mirror” makes me happy.



Mark Lanegan, Straight Songs of Sorrow
Another familiar name on my annual best of list, Mr. Lanegan. The album closely follows his memoir, Sing Backwards and Weep. Personal, reflective lyrics (wouldn’t expect anything else) that are relatable and heartfelt. Some real beauties on here include: “Ketamine,” “Bleed All Over,” and “Ballad of A Dying Rover.” From “Skeleton Key”: 

I spent my life, tryin’ every way to die
Is it my fate to be the last one standin’?
Don’t you know it’s a crime? All the shadowy peaks I climb
And I have yet to ever be remanded
Yes, I have yet to ever be remanded
Holy, holy
All of your religions are a lie
Hold me, don’t you try to hold me
I clearly see my own way to the other side
Yes, I will make my own way to the other side


Fantastic Negrito, Have You Lost Your Mind Yet? 
Blown away by this guy. I found him a couple years ago (maybe he found me?) with his Please Don’t Be Dead (which is a must for any musicphile). Have You Lost Your Mind Yet? is a gift in 2020. It’s everything you require, you only need listen. Included here, the videos for “How Long” and, for the pandemic listener inspired, “Chocolate Samurai.” 








Clan Of Xymox, Spider on The Wall. 
Tasty, tasty goth right here. These guys have been around long enough to know exactly what they are doing. Just as good as ever with “She,” “All I Ever Know,” “I Don’t Like Myself,” and “When We Were Young.”


Joywave, Possession
Tunes like “Blank Slate,” “Funny Thing About Opinions,” and the “Obsession” solidify Joywave into a 5 smear rating. Undeniably vibrant and yet easily able to inspire reflection. Possession is a great set of songs. 



Night Club, Die Die Lullaby
It’s dark, it’s synth, it’s dancey…why are these two not the King & Queen of the prom? Anywho, this record was co-produced by the one and only Dave Ogilvie (Skinny Puppy, NIN). I saw Night Club perform live in a tiny venue and they have what it takes to hit it big. Here’s hoping! GothPop at its finest. “Civil War,” “Die In The Disco,” and the Carrie-inspired “Miss Negativity.”


 
Gorillaz, Song Machine: Season One
Sigh…. It’s the Gorillaz. They also published a coffee table book, Almanac, filled with the amazing cast of animated characters (including the band) who have helped create the Gorillaz’s unique brand. They collaborated with alt-favs Peter Hook (Joy Division) and Robert Smith (The Cure), among many others. It’s a fabulous CD! 



Best Cover Songs of 2020:

The National, “Never Tear Us Apart” (INXS).

Crocodiles, “Burning Up” (Madonna).

Father John Misty, “One of Us Cannot Be Wrong” (Leonard Cohen). 

Joan As Police Woman, “I Keep Forgetting” (Michael McDonald).

Sharon Jones & The Dap Kings, “Just Dropped In (To See What Condition My Condition Is In)” (The First Edition) and “Take Me with You” (Prince). RIP Queen.

VCTRYS, “Unbelievable” (EMF). 



1 comment:

  1. I have been a fan of the Pack AD since I saw them open for NOMEANSNO a decade ago. I was sorry to read they were calling it quits.

    ReplyDelete