About Us


There is a good chance you found us accidentally by using the word “taint” in your search (If you found us on purpose, you deserve our accolades). Of course we don’t know what you were looking for, but you stumbled on a damn cool project. Look around; let us help send you on a musical journey. Here you will find a number of album reviews from the strange and extreme to the tame and mainstream. Our reviewers are a bunch of obsessive miscreants. Most of us are avid music collectors and have been involved in the music world for decades. A couple of us have been in or are still in bands.

There are no rules on Tickle Your Taint Blog. Our reviewers might make you laugh, or piss you off; both results are legitimate. One reviewer might write a glowing review of an album another might tear it apart. We may end up adopting a single review system, such as five stars, or each reviewer may use his own or none at all. We may have a new review every week or we could end up with one every six months. This blog exists as a social experiment to build community among a diverse group of music maniacs – our reviewers and hopefully you. Pull down your knickers, lube up and join us in tickling yours and our taints.


Thursday, December 30, 2021

Null’s Musical Obsessions in 2021

By Null

As usual, my list only solidifies how uncool I am.

Also, I would like to send a shout out to my favorite bands, that I listen to often, and each year I move through their respective catalogs: Joy Division, The Dead Kennedys, The Cure, Bad Religion, Dead Moon, Fugazi, Iron Maiden, Les Thugs, Seaweed, the Shostakovich Quartets, Rachmaninov, and The Miles Davis Quartet of the late 1950s. These groups really should be on my Musical Obsessions list every year. These bands are my bedrock. Maybe some year I’ll put them on the list. What follows are the “other” albums I spent a lot of time with.

It is clear that I still have some PTSD from the unending pandemic.

I have also found that my affection for The Beatles continues to resurface, as I get older. I always loved John Lennon’s albums, but I have spent more time appreciating some of Paul McCartney’s solo works. Despite his clearly awful stuff, there are an astonishingly large amount of good songs and even albums in his later years. I spent a lot of time with George Harrison’s 50th Anniversary Edition of All Things Must Pass, as I hate two-thirds of the album and adore a third. I even enjoyed my very first Ringo Starr release this year, as saccharine as some of it may be. I think I link this band and these artists individually, with the loss of my father and the inevitable loss of my mother, as well as a grounding in the 20th century.

Viva la revolution.

Kick back, have a few glasses of wine and read this crap, watch these videos, and listen to this music. You might like some of it.

Let’s do this. These albums appear in no particular order.


Big Red Machine, How Long Do You Think It’s Going to Last? (Jagjaguwar, 2021).

Sometimes ignorance really is bliss. I didn’t know anything about Big Red Machine, even though the band’s core is made up of pretty famous indie musicians, all of whom were unfamiliar. This album contains a revolving door of vocalists and creates its own strange world, which is simultaneously melancholic, nostalgic (lyrically), and uplifting. It’s an odd album in many regards. I will be writing a forthcoming review of this album, so look for it in the coming months.

Regardless, this album includes my three favorite songs of the year. “Latter Days” is a song about reckoning with climate change from a very subjective and personal point of view. It’s a masterpiece. “New Auburn” is a song about leaving the city, the grid, and cell phone towers for a lake, the smells of nature, memories, and time lost. I shed a tear every time I hear it. “Phoenix” is the offspring of The Band’s “The Weight,” I could listen to it for days.

I probably listened to this album more than any other this year. It just tangled me in its web. I still can’t get loose. It dominated my emotions. I remain its prisoner.

I’ll explain later in my forthcoming review.


Billy Bragg, The Million Things That Never Happened (Cooking Vinyl, 2021).

Billy Bragg is a master of his craft, and this album is no exception. He is as poignant and unwavering with his politics as he is with capturing the substiles and heartbreak of friendships, love, and loss. He is our loving comrade. I love this man; he embodies a humility that is absent in our current “social media” world.


Adele, 30 (Columbia, 2021).

Adele is one of the greatest living singers of our time. She is really from an earlier era; she does it old-school style. Adele disappears for several years, only to resurface with a new album. We all get sick of her after about 48 hours because the record company sets forth with a “take no prisoners” promotional campaign before she disappears again. Don’t be distracted. 

She is up there with 1960s Aretha Franklin and classic Etta James, except Adele writes her own brilliant songs. Also, notable is the fact that she doesn’t over-sing and do all the “vocal gymnastics” that are so prevalent for “great singers” these days. She also crosses the precipice between chest and head vocalizing with such ease that it mimics the human sound of crying, which is part of the reason her songs evoke such an emotional response. It is hard-wired in us to respond. It’s breathtaking. I post this live version for you to watch. Note how the beat is implied by the way she punctuates the song with her body movements. Fucking brilliant.

This song fucks me up every time. 

Piano. Bass. Voice.

That’s it.  

We are lucky to have her.


Karmian, Surgere et Cadere (Karmian, 2018).

Karmian play “Swedish death metal from Italy.” I’m not sure what that means, but this album kicks ass. It is super-tight, catchy, and generally puts me in a good mood. It’s super fun. The album is about the epic battle between the Romans and the Celts…or something. It even has some beautiful solo piano in the mix. They’re just a little, underground Italian band. Go to their website and buy their stuff. Here’s the guitar player doing his thing:


Willie Nelson, City of New Orleans (Columbia, 1984).

I got quite a few Willie Nelson records this year. They’re all great. This is the one I started the year with. I couldn’t stop listening to “Please Come to Boston.”

Kvelertak, Splid (Rise, 2020).

Kvelertak are the greatest living rock band. All of their albums are incomprehensibly magical. They had to get a new singer for Splid, their latest album. As I was distracted going down other rabbit holes, SoDak had to send the record to me in the mail. Holy shit. They did it again. Somehow, this band simultaneously plays a million influences at once. I hear Iron Maiden, Journey, Toto, punk rock, prog, killer riffs, beautiful vocal harmonies, etc. I’ve never heard a “metal” band that made me feel like a new born baby in spring until I heard Kvelertak. There is something hopeful and emotional about these Norwegian wizards. You don’t know rock, if you don’t know Kvelertak. Facts. Check this shit out:

Bob Dylan, Springtime in New York: The Bootleg Series Vol. 16 - 1980-1985 (5 CD Version) (Columbia, 2021).

This is pretty much for hardcore fans that suffered through the 1980s with Dylan. There were a few gems buried in that mine. At least his “religious” years were over, which was cause for celebration. This five-disc set has many gems, if you’ve had the stomach to follow Bob this far. However, the best versions of “Angelina” and “Blind Willie McTell” are still to be found on The Bootleg Series Vol. 1-3. Like I said, it’s for hardcore fans only. I love it, though.


Memoriam, For the Fallen (2017), The Silent Vigil (2018), Requiem for Mankind (2019), and To the End (2021) (Nuclear Blast/Reaper Entertainment). 

This band is made up of old British punk rockers that make slow “death” metal. It’s all heart. See my review from earlier this year: https://tickleyourtaint.blogspot.com/search?q=memoriam


Ada Lea, one hand on the steering wheel the other sewing a garden (Saddle Creek, 2021).

I loved Ada Lea’s debut album. It was on my Musical Obsessions list from last year. She released her second album this year, and I love it as well. There is something about her quirky, unique albums that I find irresistible. They’re like homemade whispery secrets. Also, I like how in this song, “Damn,” she manages to say “fuck all this bullshit” in a nice, Canadian way.


 Washed Out, Within and Without (SubPop, 2011).

I don’t know how good this album really is, but I listened to it in the background over and over again. It’s like 1980s mellow synth music. Think “Miami Vice Soundtrack,” but for lovers. It starts out kind of uninteresting, but then gets under the skin. I don’t know anything about this record, really. I don’t think I know any of the words either, but it is here on my list. It’s mood music.

Bruce Springsteen, Working on a Dream (Columbia, 2009).

I really love some of Springsteen’s albums, others I don’t. I gravitate toward the very intimate, acoustic, and often political records. I never really loved Working on a Dream much. It’s a strange record, wherein he is basically trying to emulate the music he grew up with, namely, Smoky Robinson and Roy Orbison. It’s overt. Once I digested this, I fell in love with the record and listened to it repeatedly this year. It had been sitting on my shelf for a fair number of years. Also, the saxophone solos are few and far between, and the East Street Band is in top form, most notably the bass player is at his peak. They almost sound like a different band, as Springsteen sings in a different style on many of the tracks. So, the reason I used to not really like the album is precisely the reason I love it now. It’s also pretty romantic. I added the song “Lucky Day” to my list of thousands of songs for my companion, Kelly. I could listen to it over and over again.


Iron Maiden, Senjutsu (BMG, 2021).

Iron Maiden released another mind-bogglingly brilliant album this year. Somehow, they always expand their sound while always sounding like Maiden. They exist in a category all their own. SoDak and I listened to this for the first time on the horrible drive to Denver. I don’t think it will ever sound as good as it did on that day. I’m not posting a video because you either get it or you don’t. Most don’t have the patience. 


Jerry Cantrell, Brighten (Jerry Cantrell, 2021).

As a huge fan of the newer Alice in Chains albums, this Jerry Cantrell record fits nicely in that pocket. This shouldn’t be surprising, but the solo album does include more wide-ranging 1970s country-rock aspects. There are some really great lyrics too. 


Temple of Void, The World That Was (Shadow Kingdom, 2020).

Temple of Void is another death metal band. Ya know, I don’t really listen to metal much, and I’m not really fond of “cookie monster” singers, but some of these new “death metal” bands are so creative. Temple uses acoustic guitars and keyboards. They slow that shit way down: it creates such a moody listening experience. These guys are a relatively small band from Michigan, and when I bought some of their albums they sent me a handwritten note. Temple of Void is awesome. Listen to this song descend into a slow-burning ember. I’ve always loved slow motion.


Ellie Goulding, Brightest Blue (Polydor, 2020).

When I sat down to write this list, I had completely forgotten about this record. I listened to it over and over earlier at the beginning of 2021. It’s full of stuff I hate, including auto tune, and random rap dudes who are featured in songs rapping about nothing. Still, sometimes I buy records or tapes just because I hear a little something different than what I am used to, namely, angry people with loud guitars. I have since discovered that I have a hankering for female pop singers who sound like birds. I wish I could sing like a bird.

I had no previous knowledge of Ellie other than the fact that she was a British pop singer who had a tune called “Lights” years ago. I still don’t know anything about her other than the fact that she has a work-out book…or something. I will say that this record came with two CDs. The first one is the best; it’s a pop album. The second disc is the one with all the radio singles, and the “featured” rap artists. Yawn. It’s tired and boring commercial formula.

I basically internalized this whole record, turds and all. There were some good things too, like this song. The background vocals are awesome. I like it. Her voice is interesting/weird/beautiful/bird-like?

Rap/Hip-Hop from the 1980s.

I got my hands on a few compilations with Hip-Hop artists from the 1980s/90s. It’s pretty sweet. I always liked Ice-T, Public Enemy, Chuck-D’s solo stuff, and Ice-Cube, but it was cool to hear some old-school Kurtis Blow and EPMD.


Little Steven & the Disciples of Soul, The Reissues of Men without Women (EMI, 1982), Voice of America (EMI, 1984), and Freedom – No Compromise (Manhattan, 1987).

Little Steven’s first two albums were digested alongside Dead Kennedys, Minor Threat, and other classic punk rock bands in my teenage years, and I made little distinction between them thematically. Men without Women is a soulful classic with tasteful horns and cryptic punk rock lyrics. Put it on the turntable anytime and I will be singing every word while thrashing around the room. Voice of America is more directly political, and flirts with glam rock. It kicks ass. Freedom-No Compromise is almost a 1980s “Prince” inspired dance record, but the political lyrics become even more threatening. Little Steven’s voice and guitar playing are fucking great and these albums, especially the first two, are uncompromising masterpieces in my psyche. In many ways, Little Steven is a confusing mystery, but that is just one more thing that makes him so interesting. He’s the radical wing of the East Street Band and the guy on the Sopranos. How could life be any more strange?


New Model Army, Between Wine and Blood (Attack Attack, 2014).

This is an emotionally powerful EP that is coupled with a live album from the Between Dog and Wolf tour. The Between Dog and Wolf album was on my list last year, and to hear these songs live was just incredible. New Model Army always makes me feel like my heart is going to explode. They are revolutionaries in every way.

“Angry Planet” is the song of these times. Painfully so. My heart breaks.

This is the most important song you will hear today.


The Koreatown Oddity, Little Dominique’s Nosebleed (Stone’s Throw, 2020).

This album is a captivating autobiographical hip-hop record. It’s absolutely fascinating, like a crazy dream. 


Ringo Starr, Zoom In EP (Universal, 2021).

I don’t want to talk about it, other than the fact that Ringo Starr should never make a record longer than an EP. Also, I had too much to drink. I know, it's rich people on yachts making music. We’re not all in this together, at least not after the song ends. Sheryl Crow and Lenny Kravits make me break out in hives. This song is like “We are the World,” only worse. I can’t help it. I can feel the minutes ticking away as I get older. I love too deeply. Astonishingly, every song on this five-song EP goes down pretty easy for me. It only took five decades for Ringo to make a good album. And, ya know, I might be overly sentimental, but I’ll love you like a brother. Leave me alone. I don’t want to talk about it.

Music Documentaries:

Hired Gun (2016).

This is a great documentary about session and touring musicians. I feel bad for these cats, especially the Billy Joel guys who were thrown to the curb.


Gordon Lightfoot: If You Could Read My Mind (2019).

I knew next to nothing about Gordon prior to watching this film, even though his songs were a part of the backdrop growing up close to Canada on a farm in Michigan.

Paul McCartney: Good Evening New York City (Live 2009 / DVD / 2 CD).

I get a little choked up sometimes. I spend too much time alone.


T-Shirts.

After many years of discussing which punk rock t-shirts we wish we had that were never made, or were simply unavailable, SoDak made me my very own Crucifucks, Wisconsin t-shirt. I’ll be waiting for my Doc Corbin Dart t-shirt next year. Kudos brother, for making dreams come true.


No comments:

Post a Comment