About Us


There is a good chance you found us accidentally by using the word “taint” in your search (If you found us on purpose, you deserve our accolades). Of course we don’t know what you were looking for, but you stumbled on a damn cool project. Look around; let us help send you on a musical journey. Here you will find a number of album reviews from the strange and extreme to the tame and mainstream. Our reviewers are a bunch of obsessive miscreants. Most of us are avid music collectors and have been involved in the music world for decades. A couple of us have been in or are still in bands.

There are no rules on Tickle Your Taint Blog. Our reviewers might make you laugh, or piss you off; both results are legitimate. One reviewer might write a glowing review of an album another might tear it apart. We may end up adopting a single review system, such as five stars, or each reviewer may use his own or none at all. We may have a new review every week or we could end up with one every six months. This blog exists as a social experiment to build community among a diverse group of music maniacs – our reviewers and hopefully you. Pull down your knickers, lube up and join us in tickling yours and our taints.


Monday, November 14, 2022

Eulogy For a Giant Fucking Talent, Nik Turner

By Jimmy “Explosive Diarrhea” B.

 Do you know what almost never belongs in rock and roll? Saxophones. Like all of my rules and beliefs, there are exceptions. If the sax is played by Bruce Lamont, Dana Colley, or Nik Turner then I can accept it. One of these important sax blowing men, arguably the best of the lot - Nik Turner - died recently.

 I assume that most of the Taint Ticklers know that Nik Turner was one of the original members of Hawkwind where he played sax and flute. His playing wasn't that weak-ass horn blowing of someone like Clarence Clemons. Nik always played jazz. Early Hawkwind had an unusual sound that combined punk, hard rock, and jazz flourishes to create some of the most original progressive rock of the era. It is likely that if Nik had begun his career recording jazz albums he would be regarded as one of the great jazz sax players. He did make jazz albums later in life, although I doubt he sold enough jazz records to keep the lights on. 

 Outside of Hawkwind, Turner played on a bunch of records, sometimes his own projects and sometimes as a guest for other artists. His list of credits is long. I know Turner from four projects, Hawkwind, his solo jazz recordings, his solo space-rock albums, and a wonderful album he made with Youth from Killing Joke called Interstellar Energy (click play on the video below). 

 

 

I first heard Hawkwind when I was in my late-20s. This was a time when I was beginning to experiment with progressive rock. I had come from hard rock and metal so I found Hawkwind at the right time. I was also excited that Lemmy Kilminster played bass on three of the early Hawkwind records. I found a stash of Hawkwind records at a small thrift store below my favorite bar, The Speak Easy, in Lincoln, Nebraska. At the time, I had never heard Hawkwind so I only bought one of the records. The next day I was back at the thrift store buying the other three Hawkwind albums in the bin. Nik Turner helped me move along my musical journey to the jazz, progressive rock, bluegrass, country, and metal loving weirdo that I am now. 

 I assume that because you are reading a blog post you are staring at either a phone or a computer screen. Jump over to the website you use to find new music and listen to Interstellar Energy and some of the early Hawkwind tracks. Be careful though, Nik Turner's playing may prevent you from liking those old Bruce Springsteen (and the E-Street Band) or Huey Lewis and the News records ever again.

2 comments:

  1. Nik Turner was great. Jimmy introduced me to Nik's solo records many years ago. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is amazing! Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete