About Us


There is a good chance you found us accidentally by using the word “taint” in your search (If you found us on purpose, you deserve our accolades). Of course we don’t know what you were looking for, but you stumbled on a damn cool project. Look around; let us help send you on a musical journey. Here you will find a number of album reviews from the strange and extreme to the tame and mainstream. Our reviewers are a bunch of obsessive miscreants. Most of us are avid music collectors and have been involved in the music world for decades. A couple of us have been in or are still in bands.

There are no rules on Tickle Your Taint Blog. Our reviewers might make you laugh, or piss you off; both results are legitimate. One reviewer might write a glowing review of an album another might tear it apart. We may end up adopting a single review system, such as five stars, or each reviewer may use his own or none at all. We may have a new review every week or we could end up with one every six months. This blog exists as a social experiment to build community among a diverse group of music maniacs – our reviewers and hopefully you. Pull down your knickers, lube up and join us in tickling yours and our taints.


Thursday, February 1, 2024

Kassi Valazza, Knows Nothing (2023)

 


By Jack Rafferty


Ever since I first heard “Johnny Dear” on Western AF, I was entranced by Kassi Valazza. I loved Kassi’s debut album, and I was curious where she and her band would take their sound from there. Starting from track one of Knows Nothing, I knew I was in for some amazing lyrics:


In the still, I often wonder about your brеathin’

I rise and fall to its rhythm late at night

Clay canyons turn to plaster in my grievin’

And our ceiling overtakes the sky.


In addition to the lyrics, I also notice that there has been a sense of settling into a more comfortable space in terms of sound and identity. There are many great things to be said about the debut record, but I do think it can be a bit sporadic at times in regard to what they want to be going forward. It seems, with Knows Nothing, that they have taken steps in the direction they have chosen, and the project feels more cohesive as a result. There is also a more honed, mature feeling to the songwriting, which is not to say that it didn’t have that before, merely that a greater sense of it is achieved here. 

However, while I do really like a lot of the writing showcased on this album, I do think certain levels of obscurity and abstractness has unfortunately been maintained here, which is a tendency I didn’t love on their debut. I think Kassi’s writing is strongest when it is clear, grounded, and intimate, with lyrics such as,


Morning hasn’t broken since I told you

I could use some time to make it right

Now you’re just a whisper, just a notion

Just a story I can read at night

The clouds move slower than they ever seemed to

Still, they find a way to pass me by.


Thankfully, I do think that this is mostly the case this time around, and there has been a demonstrable sense of progression here. Overall, Kassi has come more into her own style here, and this album has many wonderful moments. 

No comments:

Post a Comment