About Us


There is a good chance you found us accidentally by using the word “taint” in your search (If you found us on purpose, you deserve our accolades). Of course we don’t know what you were looking for, but you stumbled on a damn cool project. Look around; let us help send you on a musical journey. Here you will find a number of album reviews from the strange and extreme to the tame and mainstream. Our reviewers are a bunch of obsessive miscreants. Most of us are avid music collectors and have been involved in the music world for decades. A couple of us have been in or are still in bands.

There are no rules on Tickle Your Taint Blog. Our reviewers might make you laugh, or piss you off; both results are legitimate. One reviewer might write a glowing review of an album another might tear it apart. We may end up adopting a single review system, such as five stars, or each reviewer may use his own or none at all. We may have a new review every week or we could end up with one every six months. This blog exists as a social experiment to build community among a diverse group of music maniacs – our reviewers and hopefully you. Pull down your knickers, lube up and join us in tickling yours and our taints.


Monday, April 29, 2024

Tuff Bluff, Tuff Bluff

 


By Beert


My first experience with Tuff Bluff was seeing them open for Off With Their Heads in 2023, in Denver, Colorado. I was immediately intrigued and really enjoyed their set (more so than the touring opener, if I may say). They had some great instrumental and vocal hooks that kept my attention and caused me to seek out their recordings (https://tuffbluff.bandcamp.com). Fortunately, Tuff Bluff had a few things out at that time, including some singles released in 2021 and 2022, a 7” flexi (Poppies) in 2022, and a 2-song digital EP in 2023 (Operator/Shadow). 

On May 3, 2024, Tuff Bluff is releasing a full-length LP. They have released a couple singles off the album, which I have listened to on many occasions. I have played these songs on my weekly radio show. Following a brief back-and-forth with the band, they graciously sent me an advanced digital version of the album. As I await delivery of the physical LP, I took the opportunity to listen to this album.

Tuff Bluff plays a solid pop-punk style. By that, I am referring to the late 1980s, 1990s, and early 2000s brand of pop-punk. It’s completely enjoyable, holds your attention, and maintains an uplifting feel. Musically, Tuff Bluff is skilled in what they’re doing. They have great guitar, bass, and drum work. All of this is a highlight for me. They seem to be on the verge of falling apart at any moment, but always manage to hang on. This brings to mind a car careening down a mountain, taking the curves just a bit too fast, but never leaving the road. It is controlled chaos, at times. 

The self-titled album includes thirteen great tracks. While my descriptor of pop-punk suffices, Tuff Bluff explore the entire genre throughout the record, without falling in to a rut. They manage to keep their album moving along by making the listener curious about what the next song will bring.

I want to highlight a couple songs and share o some quick thoughts. “Banishing Spell” is reminiscent of the Teen Idols, given the back-and-forth vocals and pop behind it. It is a really great showing of the multitude of talent in the band. “Shadow” sticks out from the live show. As soon as I heard this song, which was first released as a digital EP in 2023, I immediately remembered them playing it live. I appreciate songwriting that can pull up a vivid memory and transport a listener to a time and place.

It’s my understanding that Tuff Bluff is only releasing 100 copies of this album in a physical format. If vinyl is your thing, you’d best get moving. Of course, you can always nab the digital version.

My favorite tracks from the album, include: “Operator,” “Banishing Spell,” “Shadow,” and “Russian Mountains.”

It didn’t take much deliberation to add this album to my list of Album of the Year contenders. This Tuff Bluff album joins the Bellyard self-titled EP and the Sprints Letter To Self on that list for 2024, so far. And I think it’s well deserved.

I’m very happy I got to see Tuff Bluff almost a year ago, and even more pleased to receive an album by them. I think our next goal should be to get them to play a show in Rapid City, South Dakota, as well as your town as well.


No comments:

Post a Comment