There is a good chance you found us accidentally by using the word “taint” in your search (If you found us on purpose, you deserve our accolades). Of course, we don’t know what you were looking for, but you stumbled on a damn cool project. Look around; let us help send you on a musical journey. Here you will find a number of album reviews from the strange and extreme to the tame and mainstream. Our reviewers are a bunch of obsessive miscreants. Most of us are avid music collectors and have been involved in the music world for decades. A couple of us have been in or are still in bands.
There are no rules on Tickle Your Taint Blog. Our reviewers might make you laugh, or piss you off; both results are legitimate. One reviewer might write a glowing review of an album; another might tear it apart. We may have a new review every week, or we could end up with one every six months. This blog exists as a social experiment to build community among a diverse group of music maniacs – our reviewers and hopefully you.
Contributors include: Alec, Anita Papsmear, AntiChrist-iansen, Billy West, Beert, Cam Starke, Chastity Morgan, Class Warrior, Dale M, Dave, Dismal, El Jefe, Five-Inch Taint, Gory Zaver, Gusty Bellows, Hartman, HinckleyHadAVision, Ian, Infidel Cowboys (Lusk, Wyoming), Jack Rafferty, Jack Stephen, Jimmy “Explosive Diarrhea” B, Jon, Jonnie Dames Rio, Kloghole, Musical Odyssey, Null, PaulySure, Ratones, Scott, So Brick Eh?, SoDak, Spooner D, Taciturn Orator, TheNeonRooster, Travis, Vidal, and Wayne.
A vignette: I am driving east on I-76 in a raging downpour. I am running late to my show in Flemming, Colorado. I am supposed to be there by 7 PM, because the show starts at 7:30. I should probably slow down a bit, but I’m pushing it because I don’t want to be late. I haven’t worked with this producer before and want to make a good impression. I am white knuckling it, gripping the steering wheel. The windshield wipers are on full. I start to come out of the storm. I am in the middle of eastern Colorado about an hour from the Nebraska border. I take a right and start heading down a country road. I come to a stop sign—only one in town—right by the grain silo. I make a left, and KiKi’s Bar and Grill is right there. I park across the street at the post office. I run into the bar. I see my buddy, the opener for the show. Out of breath, I say, “Hey, I made it.” He responded, “You made it in plenty of time, our call time is 7:30 and the show doesn’t start until 8:00.”
What would have been a good song as I rolled into Flemming? “Welcome to the Boomtown” by David & David.
This is a quintessential 1980s track. It should have got a bit more airplay even though it did crack the Top 40. This song, which lays bare the underbelly of the Ronald Reagan years, had some really cool guitar work and a slick production. I would have liked to hear more from David & David, but sadly this “one hit wonder” was the peak of their success. The song opens with these great lines, “Mrs. Christina drives a 944, satisfaction oozes from her pores.” This was supposed to be about as good as it got in the 1980s or so we thought.
The show went great. I did about seventeen minutes, which was the longest amount of time I have done to date. The producer was pleased, which was good to hear. Even more satisfying, one of the older locals told me as she was leaving, “I had never been to a comedy show before, what a good time.” I was glad it wasn’t a disappointment.
What song did I play driving home? “Little Birdie” by Vince Guaraldi.
Vince Guaraldi really owes something to Charles Schultz. Or maybe Charles Schultz really owes something to Vince. Tough to say? I read the biography Schultz, written by David Michaelis, and it was a comprehensive read. Schultz always wanted to be a cartoonist, and he ended up making that dream a reality by taking it to the stratosphere. He became probably the most well-known cartoonist to this day. An early struggle, as the book notes, was that newspaper editors were confused because a great number of his strips never ended with a punch line. Often, Charlie Brown was hanging his head with a passing comment and sometimes it would be a “SIGH.” It ended up not mattering, people grew to love the Peanuts strip and its cast of characters. Things really elevated when the family dog Snoopy became a lead character. There were strips showing Snoopy not really doing a whole lot, except for maybe indulging his Red Barron fantasies, but the masses were entranced—see the MetLife blimp. Having Vince do the music was an exceptional choice. He was a fairly well-known San Francisco jazz musician when the producer of the Peanuts holiday specials sought him out to compose a score. He relied heavily on the Fender electric piano, which had such a cool sound. My favorite track, the super funky “Little Birdie,” was featured the Thanksgiving special. The lyric repeated in my mind: “Little Birdie, why do you fly upside down?”
The Semifinals 1
After months of waiting, the night has finally arrived: the New Faces semifinals at Comedy Works. I was ready. I had a lot of support for this, as my family and friends equaled ten guests in the audience. I said “Hey” to everyone and ate a burger. Afterwards, I just walked around downtown Denver by myself rather than making small talk with my well-wishers. I envisioned things going well and they did. I went up seventh and had a solid set. Unfortunately, I did not advance. The competition was really tough. The finalist crushed as did most of the other comics. Everyone had fun, and I enjoyed it as well. The host, a highly respected pro comic, said he liked my pauses and delivery; he told me to stay with it. Nice, this was the compliment I have been waiting for. The jokes need work, but its good work, fun work. I am lucky to have it as work.
What song did I remember listening to on the drive back? “Los Otros Yo” by Patricia Brennan.
I don’t know anything about this artist except that the internet tells me she is a professor of the vibraphone at the Manhattan School of Music. As they used to say, put that in your pipe and smoke it. The vibraphone is quite a bit underrated and underused. This song does it justice with a heavy deep groove. It’s kind of like a cross between Weather Report and Sun Ra with a bit of Santana thrown in? Whatever the genre, this song is pretty badass.
The Semifinals 2
Just a week and a half later, I’m back performing at Comedy Works, the south club for my second attempt in the semifinals. I felt much more relaxed for some reason, maybe because I didn’t have any friends or family in attendance or maybe because the pressure has eased a bit. The south club is quite a bit different from downtown—a bit more suburban, a bit more stodgy. I drew number 2, not the best place in a 12-person lineup, but not the worst. More daunting, I was following the winner from semifinal 1. Before I went up he said, “Get excited, you got this.” I mixed up my set a bit, which in retrospect maybe wasn’t the best idea, seeing how almost everyone else did their same set from last time. I wanted to stretch myself and see how some different jokes would play. Overall, I felt good about my set. There were some lulls, but it helped to be more relaxed and work in some off-the-cuff comments. Moments like that can really connect you to an audience. All the comics crushed. I didn’t feel like I had much of a shot, but did it matter? I was in the room and on the stage with the other semifinalists. And while I didn’t advance, I had leveled up.
What song was in my head after I wrote this? “That Joke Isn’t Funny Anymore” by the Smiths.
I am pretty sure the first CD I ever had was the epic compilation album Louder Than Bombs by the Smiths. It was influential as to how I would learn to appreciate music. I was especially struck with how the Smiths felt like they were speaking to me in my teen angst. What an incredible band! I was doing some research on the Smiths in my The Essential Album Guide book by Gary Graff and Daniel Durchholz, and they remarked how the Smiths were a band who didn’t fit in? While I might agree, it’s important to note there were many bands of their era who didn’t fit in—see David Bowie, The The, or going back a bit further The Doors. Nevertheless, the Smiths, song after song, put it all together. When I was younger, I played Louder Than Bombs on repeat and got a Morrissey T shirt to wear around. The Smiths always remind me that you can still be a badass, even if you don’t fit in.
I am really digging the song “Los Otros Yo.” Thanks for the introduction.
ReplyDelete